Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 11:57 AM

Re: Alcohol tolerance - expensive

Alcohol in moderation (whatever that is!) can calm the soul and thin the blood. Also if partaken in a real-ale local hostelry with good company, can provide much-needed social contact, and even (in my local) free healthy fruit and veg. from the many allotment holders who gather there for their well-earned pint. My pub has a free library to peruse while taking the waters, free WiFi for your mobile if you prefer to be unsociable - and a mass of lively banter going back and forth. Any damage to my innards is more than offset by the freeing of stress I experience, and I'll happily stand the (possible) shortening of my life-span in exchange for all that enjoyment. At 73, I haven't too much left to shorten anyway.....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 12:05 PM

Your best bet Mark is to give it a rest for a few weeks, just as Uncle Joe says, then you won't need as much, but if you go back at it hammer and tongs you will be back to square one before you know it.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 03:10 PM

I saw a TV documentary on longevity. Only people over 100 were included in the survey.. One would expect these people to have certain things in common.. they did... but not what I expected.

Every single one of them carried a few extra pounds of weight. They were not obese, but they were not thin either. AND..... every single one of them drank alcohol. They were not fall down drunks, but they had a glass or two of their favorite beverage each day. Interesting..
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 05:47 PM

If you are seriously wanting to lower your tolerance, then you'd either have to stop, with the help of medication if you're a heavy drinker, or cut down over a few nights if you are a heavy drinker. Don't stop cold turkey or you may suffer terrible withdrawals. The D.T.s are horrible to experience and witness. It's alright making a joke of it, but honestly, it needs to be taken seriously.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top