Join for free
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Purple Loosestrife

We have tons of purple loosestrife growing in our back field & have for years. It gets very wet back there especially after winter or heavy rain, that's why it proliferates in these parts. We're in a valley & there's low lying areas all over. Its in full bloom right now.

One thing I remember, quite a few years back, purple loosestrife was making headlines all over the place for people to report seeing it, to get rid of it, etc because its ruining & drying up wetlands.

Now, you never hear anymore. Did the media get tired of writing about it, is it no longer a threat?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 03:46 PM

Re: Purple Loosestrife

I have a clump of it growing in a large container ,very wet soil & this seems to suit them

It is a spectacular plant fully2 metres high & still growing, always covered in bees. I sit looking at it & marvel.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 09:50 PM

Yes it is beautiful to look at, and you're right about the wet soil.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 08:36 AM

Just found some on my local lake, it came in on a replanted floating reedbed that died due to cold winters.

Already it has spread to the bank side, i feel it will be a plague next year, like Himalayan Balsam, and Rhododendron, pretty plant but too invasive.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 08:42 AM

I inadvertently spread balsam from my garden to many others from seed caught up in my turn ups from exploding seed pods.

Rather similar to "miss Wilmott's Ghost", except that her's were sown deliberately.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I inadvertently spread balsam from my garden to many others from seed caught up in my turn ups from exploding seed pods.

Rather similar to "miss Wilmott's Ghost", except that her's were sown deliberately.
Had to Google that Robert , an ancestor to modern day guerrilla gardeners who plant up waste land roundabouts etc.

Always nice to learn something new.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

04-08-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Had to Google that Robert , an ancestor to modern day guerrilla gardeners who plant up waste land roundabouts etc.

Always nice to learn something new.
Glad you did NOM.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top