Join for free
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 07:17 PM

Plum tree

Two years ago i bought and planted a plum tree, its Prunus Domestica Victoria,on st. Julian rootstock, it appears to be thriving, its in a very large container, there were lots of fruit, then about half of the small fruits fell off. why is this.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 07:24 PM

Re: Plum tree

Hi Bill, all fruit trees shed some of the set fruit, it's quite normal and I imagine it's natures way of thinning out the fruit so that there's enough for the tree to develop properly.....it's called "the June drop".
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 09:33 PM

My damson tree, which I inherited with the plot some 3-4, or 5, years ago, has only just started fruiting! I'm ecstatic, to say the least. Saw some little green fruits a few months ago and wondered if they'd drop off, or stay green, and I'm happy to report that on my return from holiday I noticed they are now turning purple!

Sorry, doesn't help your question. Just wanted to share my happy news.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 12:29 PM

Yes it`s the `June drop` as said. Victoria can also need a bit of help with thinning the fruit-I have seen mature trees loose a branch because the crop was too heavy.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 01:51 PM

I've got several plum trees on my land some of them so old they really need chopping down. I thought I was going to have a bumper crop this year and was looking forward to eating plum jam on my toast this winter but when I looked at them in June most of the trees had lost their fruit and I think I'll be lucky if I manage to pick more than a couple of kilos. And there's not a single a pear on the tree which last year produced a lot of fruit.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top