Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 06:15 PM

Garden Reorganisation

We've spent two days now digging out two flower beds and replacing the scheme we had in both ready for next year.

Most of it involved digging out old plants and, in some cases, dividing them but in other cases it was dumping old, tired plants that were not doing well at all.

The cost in terms of plants was minimal really because at this time of year a lot of places are knocking out perennials at rock-bottom prices because they look as if they should go in the bin but most are in actually in good nick and will reward you next year!

I think we've done both beds for around £20 in plant outlay but we had so much already from cuttings & seeds etcetera that we've stocked up nearly all of the beds and all we need really is one or two "feature" plants for impact, and we know exactly what we need so we are going out tomorrow to have a look around!

It's hard work of course and I'm cut to ribbons but it really is worthwhile looking at it all now and thinking what it'll look like in 9 months or so. stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 07:33 PM

Re: Garden Reorganisation

Nowt like a bit of hard graft in the garden, so worthwhile - hope you find a couple of bargains tomorrow.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 08:21 PM

I agree cranberry. I can spend hours just doing weeding, and when you stand up and look at the clear ground it is so rewarding.

I did exactly that this afternoon, after I'd finished cleaning the plastic covering on the shed. It is beside the storage shed near the greenhouse, and used by users of the raised beds (less abled people...but still waiting for takers.) I'll take a photo tomorrow.

I would like the shed to be used as somewhere to sit and chat, and maybe shelter from a short rainfall, or the wind. We have our Produce Show in a few weeks and the tables will be set up in that area.

So, back to my plot. Weeded all the raised bed, inspected my leeks, sweetcorn, carrots, and beetroot (the latter quite overgrown now and probably gone woody - might attempt to make crisps). Removed the kohl rabies which are obviously not going to grow without slug holes.

On to the ground bed. Earthed up the potatoes some more. Did quite a lot of weeding on my hands and knees and called it a day just after 4.30. Back was beginning to complain.

It IS hard work but when you pick and cook your produce, it is definitely worth it. Good luck with your gardening, Steve.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 08:39 PM

Sounds like you had a busy day there, Jazzi, I haven't got room to grow veg but my neighbours supply cucumbers, tomatoes, apples and plums so we so get a bit of homegrown stuff'

Hope the weather is on Steve's side tomorrow, the forecast is pretty bad everywhere, well it is a bank holiday!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Yes I'm supposed to be over there tomorrow, 10-2, to let in our builder. If it's chucking it down, we will simply cancel till another day. Fortunately he's retired so can come any day.

I WAS busy c'berry, and my muscles are showing it! Had a lovely soak in a hot bath and will shortly take more painkillers.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I agree cranberry. I can spend hours just doing weeding, and when you stand up and look at the clear ground it is so rewarding.

I did exactly that this afternoon, after I'd finished cleaning the plastic covering on the shed. It is beside the storage shed near the greenhouse, and used by users of the raised beds (less abled people...but still waiting for takers.) I'll take a photo tomorrow.

I would like the shed to be used as somewhere to sit and chat, and maybe shelter from a short rainfall, or the wind. We have our Produce Show in a few weeks and the tables will be set up in that area.
So, back to my plot. Weeded all the raised bed, inspected my leeks, sweetcorn, carrots, and beetroot (the latter quite overgrown now and probably gone woody - might attempt to make crisps). Removed the kohl rabies which are obviously not going to grow without slug holes.
On to the ground bed. Earthed up the potatoes some more. Did quite a lot of weeding on my hands and knees and called it a day just after 4.30. Back was beginning to complain.
It IS hard work but when you pick and cook your produce, it is definitely worth it. Good luck with your gardening, Steve.
I grow spuds mainly in bags although this year I'm trying some King Eddies in an old flowerbed to see if they grow this time - didn't before for some reason.

I've had to crop two bags because the plants were dying - never had that so early?

The spuds were okay though - not huge but then who really needs big spuds.

My Beetroots are again tiny - I just cannot get decent beetroot to grow here and I've tried everything and my Red Onions have done sod-all again - giving up on them and going back to Spring Onions next year.

Still got my carrots and parsnips on the go though and the carrots were great last year, white ones and very tasty.

Didn't do well with parsnips last year, which is odd considering how easy they usually are.
I set seeds twice and still only got a quarter of the raised bed coming up so this year I'm doing 'em in another bed and I've dumped the soil from the first bed, just in case. stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

25-08-2014, 10:58 AM

My neighbour, and fellow plot holder, gave me a huge bag of salad potatoes as thanks for helping her recently (laptop issues). Had to store them in the allotment shed as far too many to keep indoors. Nowhere cool enough for long term.

I have 4 seed potatoes in the ground,plus a further two bags of them in the greenhouse. Stalks have leaned over but a friend said just leave them and let the potatoes grow, but I have cut the ones on the ground. Noticed a few spuds recently at the surface, which is why I earthed them some more. Might leave them in the ground till I need them.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

30-08-2014, 05:36 PM

Well today what started out as a simple couple of hours planting some new plants turned into a mega reorganisation of the bottom bed!

We bought another Acer called A.Palmatum butterfly, which is variegated green and white with pinkish hints - lovely little upright one to keep our other drooping one company - but moving other plants, "decanting" large plants from pots etcetera to reshuffle everything took a bit longer than planned!

Trying to make room ended up with major divisions of established plants and removal of the far-too-many Aquilegias that have self-seeded over the years plus rediscovery of plants we thought had died off!

Good productive day though in the end - stand back after watering in and imagine what it'll all look like in 8 months time!
Love it! stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top