Join for free
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 12:47 AM

Removing Algae, greening from walls?

I've painted my garden brick walls white and now some areas are stained green, it's also affected the brickwork at ground level under my exterior kitchen door.
I've tried wiping them down but it doesn't remove it, any advice would be much appreciated!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 06:08 AM

Re: Removing Algae, greening from walls?

I get lots of algae on my paths and walls Honey, so if it's just a small area I spray with a garden mosskiller, but for larger areas I use a jet washer.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 12:45 PM

Hello Honey, I used Algon - environmentally friendly and very effective on my low wall and the tarmac under my holly bush. I have used a jet washer but sometimes it brings off the paint or mortar.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 01:19 PM

My cedarwood greenhouse went very green over last winter. I bought a container of stuff from Homebase (it may be called Pathclear, but I'm not going out in the rain to check ) It was mixed in a bucket of water and I washed the outside of the greenhouse with it (using a long handled soft brush). I think it had to be left for 30 mins. or so, and then the whole lot hosed down. Within 24 hours the green had gone, and stayed gone. It may take longer in damp weather. I did it in April and was delighted with the result.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Hi there, some of the fresh paint has already started to come off where I've rubbed it down.
Do these treatments stop the algae from returning or do you have to keep re applying them plantman, cranberry?
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 01:21 PM

Using the treatment that I used the surface being treated does not get any rough treatment to damage it.

You need to be careful where you use jet washers, they can do a lot of damage on the wrong surface.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 01:43 PM

I only use the Algon on a yearly basis, Honey.

Agree about the jet washer - use with care...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
Hi there, some of the fresh paint has already started to come off where I've rubbed it down.
Do these treatments stop the algae from returning or do you have to keep re applying them plantman, cranberry?
I might have mislead you Honey, the mosskiller that I was referring to was in fact a patio mosskiller which is available online or at B&Q, and which I apply with a garden sprayer and lasts about a year.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

25-08-2014, 09:15 PM

I'm assuming the unwanted greenery I've got is algae though I'm not certain, I read about something called greening which is what's happening to my brickwork, do you know if I can upload pics to the forum? It would be easier to show you what I mean as some parts under the door are mottled whilst other areas look slimy green

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top