Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Garden waste.

We've just had a very high hedge clipped and the cuttings would fill about 30 bin bags.
Don't know what to do with it.

What do you do with your garden waste?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 09:10 PM

Re: Garden waste.

Huge compost bins and a petrol shredder
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 09:20 PM

Take them to the recycling tip 5 miles away which often requires a couple of trips .

Soft stuff like grass cuttings go in the compost bin .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 09:28 PM

I have SIX compost containers and they serve me well. All garden and kitchen waste goes in there except for animal waste and woody waste. The compost is dug into my garden in autumn and that's why I get good crops.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 10:08 PM

We have garden waste collection every two weeks. I would put a bit out at a time. A bonfire? Tip? When I have my hedge clipped the person disposes of the clippings for me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
We have garden waste collection every two weeks. I would put a bit out at a time. A bonfire? Tip? When I have my hedge clipped the person disposes of the clippings for me.
The garden waste collections around here are one wheely bin a month and cost £65 a year
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 10:56 PM

We have green bags, which take almost as much as a wheely bin. I have two, somehow I gained one! They do get blown around, when empty, in gales. People don't claim them. It is part of our normal collection. One week household waste and garden waste. The next week recycling. It is so different wherever you live. We are very limited on recycling. My daughter, in South Wales is able to recycle virtually everything.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 08:00 AM

Some people in our area do have a garden waste bin but my hubby wouldn't have one because we had to pay for it. He's a right meanie and I can't change him!
He plans on bagging it all up and putting a bag a week in the normal dustbin - it will be next spring before we've got shut of it at that rate!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

28-08-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Some people in our area do have a garden waste bin but my hubby wouldn't have one because we had to pay for it. He's a right meanie and I can't change him!
He plans on bagging it all up and putting a bag a week in the normal dustbin - it will be next spring before we've got shut of it at that rate!!
Carol don't you have a council tip nearby where you can take a few bags at a time .
Our council will not take garden waste in the normal collection, if they find any in your waste they will leave it behind. The garden waste at the tip goes into big skips and recycled for compost.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

28-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Hi Meg - Ours won't take it in the normal collection either. It would have to be hidden inside a black bag and then normal rubbish piled on top of it. He'll do anything to get away without paying! lol
There is a tip a few miles away. I'll make enquiries to see if they take garden waste..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top