Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 09:57 AM

Worm Casts

It's that time of the year , our lawn is covered by worm casts, we seem to be hosts to the National Worm Collection.
The resort has to be to the plastic tine lawn rake, but sod dictates that with 5mm wide tines and them 30mm apart it will take 4-5 passes to splat the cast. This morning I modified the rake by drilling 2mm holes in the tip of each tine and stringing a length of 1.5mm plastic covered steel tie wire through side to side. This works well , just one light brush and the casts are spread, lawn now takes quarter of the time , magic.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 09:59 AM

Re: Worm Casts

Eric I use a brush and sweep the worm casts onto the border .
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Eric I use a brush and sweep the worm casts onto the border .
Once I have broken up the casts the Skil petrol blower will distribute the remains to the far yonder. ( but not on a Sunday Morning)
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 11:48 AM

We just use a stiff brush as well, and the rain then washes it back into the ground very quickly.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 12:12 PM

I don't know why it should be so but I don't get worm casts on my lawn. There are worms in the lawn as I see the blackbirds eating them..........but no worm casts.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Strangely enough we don't get them here, either. Always had them wherever we've lived but not here - don't miss them, they make a right old mess of the lawn but have always swept them away easily enough.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK

31-08-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Strangely enough we don't get them here, either. Always had them wherever we've lived but not here - don't miss them, they make a right old mess of the lawn but have always swept them away easily enough.
Our trouble is that the soil of the lawn is still very heavy which keeps it moist , house only 2 years old, grass grows like mad and casts stay wet so brushing only makes a mess.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 05:14 PM

I wondered what all these humps were on my front lawn, and one of my neighbours told me it was worms, I have loads!.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK

31-08-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I wondered what all these humps were on my front lawn, and one of my neighbours told me it was worms, I have loads!.
Could be worse , previous house had moles.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon ->
Our trouble is that the soil of the lawn is still very heavy which keeps it moist , house only 2 years old, grass grows like mad and casts stay wet so brushing only makes a mess.
Ah yes, I see - just flattens and spreads 'em. My soil is sandy, so free draining, I think that helps plus we don't see many worms or slugs and snails.... some plants struggle though but in gardening you can't have everything!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top