Join for free
Tess
Midlothian Scotland UK
Tess is female  Tess has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Weed burner

I'm a reluctant gardener. I spotted a weed burner in Lidl yesterday for £15. It's like an elongated blow torch. Can any one tell me if this is worth buying? Oh I so dislike gardening but zapping the weeds with the burner might be rather enjoyable.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 10:07 AM

Re: Weed burner

Check them out on youtube , type in" weed killer torch". I have just looked at one video and comments afterwards and the general thought seems to be the weeds will come up again. But check it out for yourself
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tess ->
I'm a reluctant gardener. I spotted a weed burner in Lidl yesterday for £15. It's like an elongated blow torch. Can any one tell me if this is worth buying? Oh I so dislike gardening but zapping the weeds with the burner might be rather enjoyable.
I confess to knowing nothing about them Tess. Logic tells me they will only kill what is above the ground and not the roots of a plant and the only way to kill the roots is to dig a plant up or apply a weed killer.
I would think they could be dangerious too.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 12:39 PM

I agree, Meg. It won't destroy the root and will regrow. As you say the answer is dig them up or apply weed killer.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 04:15 PM

They can be handy for the odd weed here and there-but beyond that it`s dig out or use glyphosate.
Tess
Midlothian Scotland UK
Tess is female  Tess has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Thanks for all the input. Having watched the demo on you tube I'll pass scary looking stuff. About to look into glyphosate as I don't have a clue!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tess ->
Thanks for all the input. Having watched the demo on you tube I'll pass scary looking stuff. About to look into glyphosate as I don't have a clue!
Hi Tess what are you trying to kill and where there are various weedkillers depending on the circumstances.
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 01:53 AM

Glyphosphate is good as it goes inert once it hits the soil

If using it as spray make sure to pick a still sunny day as overspray will kill other plants.
On the other hand there is something satisfying about digging out a weed that is ruining your garden - of course as that is if there are not too many of them

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top