Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 09:53 AM

Late fruiting raspberries

Having had little success planting expensive bare rooted raspberries (they all died) in the spring I bought some cheap plants from B&Q 'Tulameen' classed as a late summer fruiting variety and they took off really well and are still fruiting

Is it unusual for summer raspberries to go on fruiting this long, I am wondering if the plants could have been wrongly labeled .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 10:05 AM

Re: Late fruiting raspberries

Funny you should say this, Meg. I've got my eye on the raised bed plot next to me, as it is the only one unoccupied in the line. It has been in disuse for many years and is overgrown and unkempt. I have to keep snipping bits off that overhang and snag me from the raised bed.

However, on the ground plot are many raspberry canes, bearing fruit! So I've fired off an email to our allotsment office asking if I can take over the rental. I'd like to 'get in there' before other plot holders nick the fruit.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Funny you should say this, Meg. I've got my eye on the raised bed plot next to me, as it is the only one unoccupied in the line. It has been in disuse for many years and is overgrown and unkempt. I have to keep snipping bits off that overhang and snag me from the raised bed.

However, on the ground plot are many raspberry canes, bearing fruit! So I've fired off an email to our allotsment office asking if I can take over the rental. I'd like to 'get in there' before other plot holders nick the fruit.
Hi Janet they could be an autumn fruiting variety, mine are not.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 11:01 AM

I would have thought that summer fruiting raspberries would have been finished fruiting by now.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:14 AM

Tulameen is a late summer fruiting variety Meg, although you are doing very well for them not to have finished by now.... enjoy..

Here's the link..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

14-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Tulameen is a late summer fruiting variety Meg, although you are doing very well for them not to have finished by now.... enjoy..

Here's the link..
Hi Barry yes I am aware they are a late summer variety and have treated them as such cutting back and tying in a few strong canes but I am surprised they are still fruiting .
I guess it might be down to the lovely warm autumn .
As this is their first year I have nothing to compare them with.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 11:43 AM

I grow several autumn fruiting varieties but they've always finished by the end of September. I prefer the autumn varieties because I can just cut the canes to the ground when they've finished fruiting and they cannot get damaged by the winter winds, I find them much bigger and sweeter than the summer berries and they also have very few pests other than the birds....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top