Join for free
Page 4 of 34 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:31 PM

Re: Cliff Richard

[QUOTE=Silver Tabby;617071]
Originally Posted by maursey ->

The police are only doing their job - the person/s to sue would be the accusers! Unfortunately when something like this is made public the gold diggers and attention seekers crawl out from under every stone!

I agree that claims should be investigated - I do not agree with trial by media.

I agree with that too - I also think the 'gold diggers' mentioned are very few and would be sifted out easily - there has to be dates times places that fit the crime .......
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I think that it was a horrible feeling to find that well know figures like Rolf Harris etc were guilty of these crimes.
They were part of our culture almost when growing up so of course people were disappointed and felt so let down almost. Nothing was as it seems and indeed that can be the case in 'nice' families too.

Whether CR is guilty of any offence or not we don't know but I don't think any investigations should be in the public eye.
If there is guilt then there is plenty of time for the sorry tale to become public.
But I have said I think it is right for the Police to say they are investigating allegations of abuse by ??? and invite victims to come forward. It is the media who sensationalise the reporting and IMO that is what should be stopped; it would be wrong for the police not to be able to invite other victims to come forward. Remember anyone accused is going to vehemently deny the allegations whether they are guilty or not. And remember that they can afford the best defence lawyers there are to fight their case.

Perhaps you would rather they were not investigated or expect evidence to magically appear.
It is the not believing it could happen and not investigating thoroughly that brought about this tragic mess in the first place.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:53 PM

The lurid headlines in the tabloids is a large part of what makes it so bad. You can't even get away from it as it's there on every newspaper stand and on every news bulletin and so on.
I wish the police would carry on their investigations without all the hooha.
Why do we need a constant diet of it, can the police not investigate alleged victims without that.
Nobody is saying it couldn't happen or that it shouldn't be investigated, I can't see that anywhere!
I presume the reason there is an investigation is because people have come forward.
The other issue is the people who claim abuse by personalities for the sake of attention etc and who are wasting time and public money. That happens all the time.
When that happens to an innocent person their lives are practically ruined.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 06:29 PM

Thing is, the Yorkshire Scuffers went so overboard on the original accusation (and got a good slapping from the Parliamentary Committee) that they have to dredge something up to try and prove it was not all hogwash or they are going to look a right bunch of tossers
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon ->
Thing is, the Yorkshire Scuffers went so overboard on the original accusation (and got a good slapping from the Parliamentary Committee) that they have to dredge something up to try and prove it was not all hogwash or they are going to look a right bunch of tossers

I don't see how they can 'dredge' up something - 'that' will make them look stupid .......
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
[/B]
I don't see how they can 'dredge' up something - 'that' will make them look stupid .......
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-scandals.html

Don't you mean MORE stupid ? Thing is they are fighting to salvage their severely dented reputation so they will stoop to anything . KIETH VAZ is probing them with some very awkward questions and this to me sounds of desperation.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

26-02-2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon ->
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-scandals.html

Don't you mean MORE stupid ? Thing is they are fighting to salvage their severely dented reputation so they will stoop at nothing underhand.
Your link refers to the police 'turning a blind eye' to allegations of child sex abuse. I for one will be more than pleased when they no longer turn away but investigate thoroughly.
The media is a different kettle of fish altogether !
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
But I have said I think it is right for the Police to say they are investigating allegations of abuse by ??? and invite victims to come forward. It is the media who sensationalise the reporting and IMO that is what should be stopped; it would be wrong for the police not to be able to invite other victims to come forward. Remember anyone accused is going to vehemently deny the allegations whether they are guilty or not. And remember that they can afford the best defence lawyers there are to fight their case.

Perhaps you would rather they were not investigated or expect evidence to magically appear.
It is the not believing it could happen and not investigating thoroughly that brought about this tragic mess in the first place.

I understand what you are saying VM; that the police couldn't ask anyone else to come forward without the case coming into the public domain. It's a valid point. Perhaps it's time for some legislation to curb the media coverage on these particularly sensitive cases?

It makes for something of a dilemma between justice and fairness for the victim and the protection for any accused person until there is proof..
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Anzac ->
It's a valid point. Perhaps it's time for some legislation to curb the media coverage on these particularly sensitive cases?

It makes for something of a dilemma between justice and fairness for the victim and the protection for any accused person until there is proof..
Perhaps if the press were restricted to printing a statement as released by the police and with no embellishment just the statement as released to them. Then maybe some balance could be achieved.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 08:23 PM

Watching the news earlier about scumbag Saville and what he got away with, I'd say the Police need to be scrupulous from now on. The scumbags who also let Saville away with abuse, knowing full well what he was doing and did nothing about it, are almost as bad as him. I've reached a stage where I would trust none of these so called celebrities. Sweetness and light on the outside, some of them, but cunning villains on the sly. Hope Richy is innocent, but we'll just have to wait and see. Innocent until proven guilty. We'll soon find out.

Page 4 of 34 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top