Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 07:16 PM

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) 18:55-20:30 Sun 1st Nov 2020 90m Horror Channel

https://www.viewfilm.net/title/the-i...nking-man-1957

After a man is encased in a strange dark cloud whilst on a yacht, he soon becomes increasingly thinner - and smaller. The spectacle brings him fame - but turns him into a tyrant.
A genre-busting film in its day, with ground-breaking special effects, The Incredible Shrinking Man terrified me, a child, when I saw it at the cinema in 1957 .....

For years afterwards, I had to be dragged out into the (seemingly) ever-present fogs of winter of the 1950's and 1960's ..... and spiders still scare me .....

The film doesn't terrify me any more and it's a decent stab at a morality tale .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 09:10 PM

Re: The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) 18:55-20:30 Sun 1st Nov 2020 90m Horror Channel

One of my favourite films when I was young. I won't mention the end in case some have not seen it but it was the cat that scared me the most.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2020, 01:39 AM

Re: The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) 18:55-20:30 Sun 1st Nov 2020 90m Horror Channel

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
One of my favourite films when I was young. I won't mention the end in case some have not seen it but it was the cat that scared me the most.
1957 was an excellent year for movies - obviously, at the time, I was too young to see many of them but here are some that I liked then or have grown to like since:

3:10 to Yuma, directed by Delmer Daves, starring Glenn Ford and Van Heflin
12 Angry Men, directed by Sidney Lumet, starring Henry Fonda, Lee J. Cobb, Jack Warden, Jack Klugman, Martin Balsam, E.G. Marshall
An Affair to Remember, starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr
The Bridge on the River Kwai, directed by David Lean, starring William Holden, Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins, Sessue Hayakawa
Fire Down Below, starring Rita Hayworth and Robert Mitchum
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, directed by John Sturges, starring Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Rhonda Fleming
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison, directed by John Huston, starring Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum
Hell Drivers, directed by Cy Endfield, starring Stanley Baker, Peggy Cummins, Patrick McGoohan, Sean Connery – (GB)
The Incredible Shrinking Man, directed by Jack Arnold, starring Grant Williams
Jailhouse Rock, starring Elvis Presley
Love in the Afternoon, directed by Billy Wilder, co-written by Wilder with I. A. L. Diamond, starring Gary Cooper, Audrey Hepburn, Maurice Chevalier
Paths of Glory, directed by Stanley Kubrick, starring Kirk Douglas, Ralph Meeker, Adolphe Menjou
Peyton Place, based on novel by Grace Metalious, starring Lana Turner, Hope Lange, Diane Varsi
The Pride and the Passion, starring Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, Sophia Loren
The Spirit of St. Louis, starring James Stewart in a biopic of Charles Lindbergh
Sweet Smell of Success, directed by Alexander Mackendrick, written by Ernest Lehman, starring Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis
The Three Faces of Eve, starring Joanne Woodward and Lee J. Cobb
Witness for the Prosecution, directed by Billy Wilder, starring Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, Charles Laughton
More:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957_in_film
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2020, 08:21 AM

I've seen this film several times over the years and still enjoy it. It's also got a quite moving ending I think. It's decent of Hollywood to employ tiny actors and give them a chance, don't you think?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2020, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
1957 was an excellent year for movies - obviously, at the time, I was too young to see many of them but here are some that I liked then or have grown to like since:

The first on the list 3:10 to Yuma was a great film, at least the original was. The remake was a pile of poo.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top