Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Petra
Essex
Petra is female  Petra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:26 AM

Re: ----- war ----

Artful todger.
I only joined this site yesterday but I'm loving your style and sentiments.
Not quite sure about the war reference though. Everything else is exactly what we have been saying for weeks.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Are you forgetting that the Internet was invented precisely to stop this happening?
I don't understand your logic in that statement Bruce....
As I see it, the first, and perhaps the only act of aggression a country needs to do is disable the internet of it's victim.
Can you imagine how that country could possibly respond without a national grid, water supply, a transport system, GPS and the NHS if it happened to us.

There have been many cyber attacks already, and if it were not for GCHQ I believe there would have been more and even worse.
Humans are not the only ones who can suffer from a virus Bruce, how long do think it will take for someone to outwit the establishment?

We all laughed at Donald Trump when he assembled a space army capable of defending America from space. He has the power to knock out satellites, and in order to protect themselves, America will not be the only ones to adopt this technology. Undersea cables are an easy target, why do you think naval ships and subs patrol areas. They have probably mapped out the routes of all of these cables and can destroy them at a moments notice.

I believe the internet will be the first thing that goes in the event of war, so I hope the people in charge have figured out alternative means of running their countries.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 12:48 PM

Bugger the Britannica, It E-volved, bit like saying the inventor of the three pin plug invented electricity.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 12:53 PM

The internet was invented so that in the event of a war the CIA could still communicate by addressing many different servers and having the internet packets forwarded to their final destination by clever addressing and splitting up and re-assembling of the data stream. This made point to point client Server addressing redundant.

Even by todays standards its mind bogglingly brilliant, but, fortunately it was never needed so put in the public domain. Then along came Tim Berners-Lee and invented a way to navigate information on forms to distribute information all over the world from anywhere in the world. Hence, the World Wide Web as we know it now, or the "internet" was born.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't understand your logic in that statement Bruce....
As I see it, the first, and perhaps the only act of aggression a country needs to do is disable the internet of it's victim.
Can you imagine how that country could possibly respond without a national grid, water supply, a transport system, GPS and the NHS if it happened to us.

There have been many cyber attacks already, and if it were not for GCHQ I believe there would have been more and even worse.
Humans are not the only ones who can suffer from a virus Bruce, how long do think it will take for someone to outwit the establishment?

We all laughed at Donald Trump when he assembled a space army capable of defending America from space. He has the power to knock out satellites, and in order to protect themselves, America will not be the only ones to adopt this technology. Undersea cables are an easy target, why do you think naval ships and subs patrol areas. They have probably mapped out the routes of all of these cables and can destroy them at a moments notice.

I believe the internet will be the first thing that goes in the event of war, so I hope the people in charge have figured out alternative means of running their countries.
In my opinion you are perfectly correct, OGF.

Undersea cables, although still in use, are a bit passe now. Satellite communications are the most important thing these days and the Yanks' new Space Corps, or whatever they call it, is primarily concerned with that, I believe.

I think that some people imagine their Space Corps to be something along the lines of Star Trek, even believing that there are developments afoot in Area 51 to develop space ships with previously unheard of technology.

Personally I think that's probably far fetched, but satellite communication and surveillance are becoming ever more important.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Petra ->
Artful todger.
I only joined this site yesterday but I'm loving your style and sentiments.
Not quite sure about the war reference though. Everything else is exactly what we have been saying for weeks.
Who is we Petra??
You have lot to learn about Todgers style methinks??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
In my opinion you are perfectly correct, OGF.

Undersea cables, although still in use, are a bit passe now. Satellite communications are the most important thing these days and the Yanks' new Space Corps, or whatever they call it, is primarily concerned with that, I believe.

I think that some people imagine their Space Corps to be something along the lines of Star Trek, even believing that there are developments afoot in Area 51 to develop space ships with previously unheard of technology.

Personally I think that's probably far fetched, but satellite communication and surveillance are becoming ever more important.
I think not JB, just have a look here......

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/25/a...hnk/index.html

The gist of the link...

Today, there are around 380 underwater cables in operation around the world, spanning a length of over 1.2 million kilometers (745,645 miles).
Underwater cables are the invisible force driving the modern internet, with many in recent years being funded by internet giants such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Amazon. They carry almost all our communications and yet -- in a world of wireless networking and smartphones -- we are barely aware that they exist.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think not JB, just have a look here......

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/25/a...hnk/index.html

The gist of the link...

Today, there are around 380 underwater cables in operation around the world, spanning a length of over 1.2 million kilometers (745,645 miles).
Underwater cables are the invisible force driving the modern internet, with many in recent years being funded by internet giants such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Amazon. They carry almost all our communications and yet -- in a world of wireless networking and smartphones -- we are barely aware that they exist.
I must say that I'm surprised at that. I stand corrected.

I would have thought that it must be cheaper to put a satellite in orbit than to lay an undersea cable, but there you are.

I also hadn't realised that undersea cables now use fibre optics but, on reflection, I suppose that using copper conductors would mean amplifying the signal at points along the length.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I must say that I'm surprised at that.

I would have thought that it must be cheaper to put a satellite in orbit than to lay an undersea cable, but there you are.

I also hadn't realised that undersea cables now use fibre optics but, on reflection, I suppose that using copper conductors would mean amplifying the signal at points along the length.

Check out Elon Musks satellite string...
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Who is we Petra??
You have lot to learn about Todgers style methinks??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Don't panic Donkeyman. Petra will soon discover that TAT never fails to disappoint

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top