Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 02:44 AM

74 Dead After A Soccer Match

Wow! What's going on here? The news report of a soccer match with Egypt ended in riots on the field that killed 74 people. Egypt won the match but their fans attacked the opposing fans and players. It's a game folks, just a game.

In the United States we will have our Super Bowl this coming weekend. Although we have avid fans representing both sides nobody will kill anyone as a result of the game, regardless of who wins.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 08:09 AM

Re: 74 Dead After A Soccer Match

Dreadful - and we thought some of our supporters were bad!!

I watched the news just now on BBC and it was horrendous! Time for those countries authorities to get their act together and do somethng about it!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 08:23 AM

They call the English fans Holigans, but then again our press do their best to belittle this country.

This really was not holiganism it was Politically motivated so they have to invole the rival politicians now.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 10:56 AM

I rather think the Arab Spring had more to do with this than football. There`s a lot going on in the Middle East atm.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
Wow! What's going on here? The news report of a soccer match with Egypt ended in riots on the field that killed 74 people. Egypt won the match but their fans attacked the opposing fans and players. It's a game folks, just a game.

In the United States we will have our Super Bowl this coming weekend. Although we have avid fans representing both sides nobody will kill anyone as a result of the game, regardless of who wins.
But how many people will die as a result of betting on the superbowl when they either don't pay the bookie or the bookie don't pay up? Oh yes people will die after the super bowl.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 03:38 PM

I'm not about to argue that point. I feel there's a difference when fans literally run out on the playing feel after a win to kill the losers. This became the Coliseum in Roman times where the contest was fought to the death.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
I rather think the Arab Spring had more to do with this than football. There`s a lot going on in the Middle East atm.
Of course it did Claire, football fans might be hooligans but they don't set out to kill each other.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 06:41 PM

Arthur matey, I'm not a football supporter at all and in fact loathe the game, but wasn't there a game in Holland many years ago involving Tottenham Hotspur and I think Liverpool in which, the stadium got trashed and some fans died in the melee???
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Arthur matey, I'm not a football supporter at all and in fact loathe the game, but wasn't there a game in Holland many years ago involving Tottenham Hotspur and I think Liverpool in which, the stadium got trashed and some fans died in the melee???
Me thinks you are getting confused with the Heysel Stadium in Brussels in 1985 when Liverpool were playing Juventus.

The Juventus fans caused a stadium wall to collapse and in the ensuing panic 39 Juventus fans died and 600 others were injured. The Liverpool supporters unfortunately were found not to be at fault so yet again UJ you are misinformed
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 06:56 PM

If that's the case Cate darlin' then how come UK teams were banned from European competition for several years thereafter???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top