Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Oops more heated questions. lol

More controversy. lol

Does Patriotism to ones country of birth cease when you move to another country?

If someone emigrates to another country are they deserting their own country and if so should they give up their nationality and take up the nationality of the country that they choose to live in?

As the saying goes, 'You can't be true to two'.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 10:14 AM

Re: Oops more heated questions. lol

Does Patriotism to ones country of birth cease when you move to another country?
AB I would have thought not but I am only speaking for myself. I still feel a certain loyalty to Derbyshire the county in which I was born as were generations before me so I feel sure I would retain a level of patriotism to the country of my birth should I ever leave it...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 10:38 AM

This is a tough one for sure, and there isn't a black or white answer.

On the one hand if you move countries permanently and apply for citizenship then yes, your allegiance should be to your new adopted country, but if you just intend to live elsewhere for a while then possibly not.

Having said that, a country which tolerates you, even if on a temporary or semi-permanent basis, should be treated in a respectful way, in that you certainly shouldn't be unpatriotic to it, after all you are a guest of that country and common decency and good manners would dictate that..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->

On the one hand if you move countries permanently and apply for citizenship then yes, your allegiance should be to your new adopted country, but if you just intend to live elsewhere for a while then possibly not.

Having said that, a country which tolerates you, even if on a temporary or semi-permanent basis, should be treated in a respectful way, in that you certainly shouldn't be unpatriotic to it, after all you are a guest of that country and common decency and good manners would dictate that..
You are right Barry , I was speaking personally , divided loyalties would never be a problem for me because I would not wish to leave the country of my birth
I have had the opportunity to go to live and work in a number of countries from South Africa to Mexico but I could never bring myself to leave the UK.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->

Agree with you Barry My sister has lived in Australia for 20 odd years, probably 25 now so half her life and her allegiance is with Australia and she is a citizen of that country. Mind you when she comes here to visit she always travels on her UK passport! to cut down on the queues at Heathrow so she says Even though she's an Aussie she still takes an interest in this country and always knows what the weather's doing and what's in the news.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 12:02 PM

I would agree with you Barry.

My sister left England for Australia many many years ago. She did not take up citizenship for the first 20 years. They all took citizenship together as a family, when her children were adults. She still loves Britain, but Australia is their home now.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 02:19 PM

no I was born in irland but lived in the uk now in canada

I am truly canadion now ben here longer than the uk
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 03:08 PM

I would say no, patriotism to ones country of birth does not usually cease when you move to another country and no I don't think someone deserts their own country, nor should they have to give up their nationality and be obliged to take up the nationality of the country that they choose to live in.

I think it is possible to be "true to two" although I would think that if the country you went to was so different in culture to your birth country it would be difficult and there would be a lot to get to grips with. In my opinion it is essential for any immigrant, wherever they emigrate to, to adapt to the new country, observe its laws and integrate, particularly if a person gains advantage from what the country has to offer. However, I don't think this should mean losing your identity.

On a personal level we emigrated to Canada and although it was quite a while ago now I still have a great fondness and longing for Canada and the people. Although it was a bit of a culture shock, it was an "easy" country to integrate into. Canada has a diversity of peoples from all over the world and her people display a degree of tolerance which few other countries enjoy. I easily gave my loyalty to Canada, as did most other people we came across, but I did not give up my loyalty to England - I didn't want to or have to. I was more than happy to work towards obtaining Canadian citizenship and have dual nationality.

I am reminded of another appropriate saying which says "love the one your with."
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 03:25 PM

My brother has lived in Italy for 43 years since he met and married an Italian girl. Although he is well settled there and would never return to the UK to live, he still classes himself as English though and his loyalties remain with this country regarding sport and motor racing.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 03:50 PM

I think that maybe your loyalty should be with the country you have chosen to be a citizen of but surely your sentimentality will always be with your country of birth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top