Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Memory loss.

I've been concerned about my husbands poor memory for quite a while. Eventually I managed to get him to the doctors which resulted in lots of tests.
Today we had the news that he's suffering from alzheimers. Only mild at present but progressive!

I wondered if any other members have partners with this.
Any advice/hints would be appreciated.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 07:05 PM

Re: Memory loss.

Commented on this elsewhere but Carol, I am so sorry to hear this news.

Sending you both best wishes and lots of hugs.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 07:10 PM

I don't have any experience of this Carol, but like Jazzi, sending you both hugs
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 07:11 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this Carol, it must have come as a big shock to you

Regretfully I can't offer you any advice, not having had any experience of anyone suffering with it.

I do send you both my best wishes though.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Commented on this elsewhere but Carol, I am so sorry to hear this news.

Sending you both best wishes and lots of hugs.

Me too Carol

I've come across this illness a few times through friends ... every case is different so it's difficult to predict a time scale ... one lady I know was still dancing with her husband for a long time after the onset of the illness so they continued to live a "normal" life for many years.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 07:18 PM

Hi Carol ,so very sorry to hear of this news ...I have spent many yrs in the past caring for elderly with advanced Alzheimers and dementia,I advise you to get all the help and support at these early stages as you can,if there are any medications to prolong the onset and advance of the early symptoms then make full use of these.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/health-wellb...p-and-support/

I hope there are some things that can be of use to you here.
Try not to worry too much and keep everything as normal and stress free as possible...you have all my best wishes though to you both..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 07:24 PM

Carol I am sorry to hear your news, it must be a shock for both of you.
You are fortunate to have had an early diagnosis, there is now medications available which can in some cases slow down the progression of the condition.

Each case is different, no two people are the same and the effects of alzheimer's can differ greatly from person to person.

For the moment I would try not to be too upset and just carry on as normal.
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 07:35 PM

I have of course dealt with dementia on a professional level, but the only time I've seen it personally was with my Dad.

He was in denial and refused to go to the doctors until things got so bad he went out for a walk at night, got lost and ended up falling half way down a cliff.

Thankfully the physical injuries were minor, but at the hospital they diagnosed advanced Alzheimer's and less than a year later he couldn't remember my name, my sister's or even my mother's. It was a relief when he died, for all of us - and him too I imagine.

Of course, your husband has caught it very early so that coupled with modern medicine (Dad's Alzheimer's was in the early 90s) he could have years ahead before it gets any worse.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 10:35 PM

Carol, so sorry to hear of your troubles.
I hope this site may hold practical information for you.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

Don't forget to look after yourself as well. x
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 07:07 AM

So sorry to hear of Your Husband Carol..((((((((hugs)))))))))x

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top