Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 06:05 PM

Re: Walkers in trainers rescued in Ben Nevis blizzard

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
This makes me so blooming angry, our men have to put their own lives at risk to save these idiots. We all knew the storm was coming and going to be a bad one…………..So Why?
Because we have bred a nation of knobheads.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Thank goodness .....
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 06:45 PM

Technologically savvy, common sense dense.

Thought the headline was walkers in training, unbelievable.

People do not have the right to rescue services when they put themselves at risk?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 09:06 PM

They were day trippers who spoke very little English...I hope They all got frostbite in Their dicks.. that's where Their brains are
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 09:11 PM

They give us naked ramblers a bad name......
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:39 PM

I am an experienced hill walker/hiker/scrambler and this was a big part of my life from when I was very young until I became too injury prone to enjoy it. I have seen people go up mountains in trainers with no problems. I would not do this myself as I prefer proper foot and ankle support along with the grip you have from a good sole. But I have walked the peaks and scrambled in Snowdonia in poor weather wearing just DMs. These guys are being called idiots for wearing trainers. Well you can quite easily slip in a storm wearing decent walking boots. They look as though they were protected from the elements in their warm jackets etc. It was just foolhardy to go up given the weather forecast with no map and tbh I would not fancy any kind of mountain walk at this time of year. It's a form of dangerous sport. The weather can change at the best of times when you are up a mountain. Even with crampons, emergency supplies and the best gore tex accessories. If there is a storm warning you just do not go up at all. (unless you are an adrenaline junkie and I have known such people!)

I've been in the lakes on a lovely sunny day but at elevation it can feel very different and very scary. My most frightening experience was scrambling in North wales in November/December with our university walking and climbing society. It was frightening because it was suddenly pea-soup foggy, we were lost and we were on boulders with a massive drop in between each (slippery) stone. We had a map but I guess these were more climbers than navigators. We survived but I was pretty terrified at times. Can you believe that I was more upset at staying in a primitive bunk house where we all slept in one room! Built in bunk beds from floor to ceiling and you had to climb up! These days we would have insurance and health and safety forms.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:10 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-51447226

Update

Miller Harris, of Lochaber MRT, said the four people who were visiting Scotland from abroad were lucky to have been at a place on the mountain where they could get mobile phone reception.

They were able to raise the alarm by calling the police and then use an app to give rescuers a location "within metres" of where they were.

Mr Harris told BBC Scotland: "If there hadn't been a phone signal, we would have had no idea what was going on.

"One of them managed to get back to the summit where they met our team and was able to confirm the location where his friends were.

"They were very, very cold and one was probably hypothermic and was having difficulty walking."

Mr Harris said the people were on a day trip, rather than being experienced hillwalkers.
I'd say they were ignorant rather than foolhardy, like many tourists abroad .....

They probably thought that Ben Nevis was just a big hill .....

I've never been to Ben Nevis but photographs lead me to believe that the lower part of the climb is mostly carved "steps":

but those disappear on the climb:

and, without a map, you could end up here:

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:38 AM

When I was a child a neighbour's brother died skiing on Ben Nevis in winter. He was not an inexperienced tourist. Just unlucky. It's a notorious place for winter accidents and has fatalities most years. Just looking at Omah's photo I feel nervous of that climb in a high wind. But it's truly stunning and makes me yearn for that amazing feeling you only ever have at the top of a mountain. The few seconds of stillness and peace (apart from the blinking hikers taking selfies behind you!)
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:51 AM

In the U.S. those idiots would most certainly be charged the full price of the rescue.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-02-2020, 12:53 AM

Bakerman in the US they would be killed by a wild animal. In the UK the weather is more dangerous than the wildlife.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top