Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 09:11 PM

Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges being blocked?

I've heard a rumour that there is about to be a printer update which provides a printer driver which stops compatible cartridges from being recognised.

If that happens, the compatible cartridges some of us have in the cupboard will no longer be usable.

Having heard this I now see that there is an update, in my updates list (W10) for my Canon Printer.

Since I've never seen an update from Canon before, I suspect that this is what will be what this update is all about.

Hopefully, if it is proved to be what it's for, removing the update might stop us from having to pay through the nose.

Have you had an update recently?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:59 PM

Re: Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges being blocked?

HP introduced blocking software in 2016 and I had to dispose of a dozen or more cartridges until the compatible ink companies could resolve the issue. I've had no problems with HP or (more recently) Epson since but a search of the internet indicates that printer manufacturers may, indeed, be introducing locking/blocking mechanisms.

Thanks for the warning .....
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:10 AM

It doesn't bother me. I never use compatibles.

The one time I tried my printer went berserk & I said never again!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:13 AM

I didn't like compatibles either so I switched to a laser printer last year...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 10:37 AM

I've nearly always bought the printer manufacturer's ink cartridges. I like HP all-in-ones and have recently signed up for HP's 'instant ink' at £2.00 a month. This allows for printing 50 pages per month. Plenty for us. HP knows when ink runs low and automatically sends new ink cartridges through the post. A bag is provided for returning used cartridges (prepaid). The ink tanks in 'instant ink' cartridges are larger and contain more ink than those bought elsewhere.

The service means we never have to think about getting more ink and I'm not going to miss £2.00 a month.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've nearly always bought the printer manufacturer's ink cartridges. I like HP all-in-ones and have recently signed up for HP's 'instant ink' at £2.00 a month. This allows for printing 50 pages per month. Plenty for us. HP knows when ink runs low and automatically sends new ink cartridges through the post. A bag is provided for returning used cartridges (prepaid). The ink tanks in 'instant ink' cartridges are larger and contain more ink than those bought elsewhere.

The service means we never have to think about getting more ink and I'm not going to miss £2.00 a month.
That's a good deal!!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 11:38 AM

HP also has an 'instant ink' deal that allows you to print 15 pages a month for free. They only charge if you go above that at a cost of £1.00 for 1 to 10 pages.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:11 PM

I've always used compatible ink cartridges for years. I have a HP printer and it recognises the cartridge every time. Guess I must be one of the lucky ones because the difference in the price is huge.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:24 PM

HP also has an 'instant ink' deal that allows you to print 15 pages a month for free. They only charge if you go above that at a cost of £1.00 for 1 to 10 pages.
I print anywhere between 200-500 ppm - the 300 ppm plan, @ £7.99 pm seems, initially, attractive but that's £96 pa.

A set of HP364XL compatible inks costs £12 and prints 500-750 pages - I might use, say, 6 sets a year, so that's £72.

Therefore, even for me, the HP option is worth considering if I start having problems with compatibles.

But ..... HP are still charging £73 for a set of HP364XL inks.

Some incompatibility there ......
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 05:04 PM

I've tried compatibles several times but they've either packed up before they're empty or there was a problem with them during printing. Since then I only ever buy direct from the manufacturer (HP atm).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top