Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 05:09 PM

Re: Are we really Overpopulated?

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I think our planet will get rid of us naturally, she will shake us or drown us or collapse us to cleanse herself . Definitely too many people taking and taking from her .
The "planet" will not be a part of the equation. It will be people who render the planet unsuitable for our species. The planet is neutral, and doesn't give a rats ass whether we survive or not. If we were as smart as we think we are we would figure out how to adapt to a constantly changing environment. Species who don't figure that out go the way of the dinosaurs. As many species as we have destroyed, it may be fair that we get our just deserves.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I think our planet will get rid of us naturally, she will shake us or drown us or collapse us to cleanse herself . Definitely too many people taking and taking from her .
The "planet" will not be a part of the equation. It will be people who render the planet unsuitable for our species. Think of it in terms of mass suicide.

The planet is neutral, and doesn't give a rats ass whether we survive or not. If we were as smart as we think we are we would figure out how to adapt to a constantly changing environment. We would learn to not make poo poo where we sleep..... Species who don't figure that out go the way of the dinosaurs. As many species as we have destroyed, it may be fair that we get our just deserves.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
The "planet" will not be a part of the equation. It will be people who render the planet unsuitable for our species. The planet is neutral, and doesn't give a rats ass whether we survive or not. If we were as smart as we think we are we would figure out how to adapt to a constantly changing environment. Species who don't figure that out go the way of the dinosaurs. As many species as we have destroyed, it may be fair that we get our just deserves.
Somebody already has figured it out Savvy, but we are too blind to see it.....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 05:47 PM

I' ve been saying for a long time that we need more children, every time we have a thread on people having more than two or somesuch subject.
We need to get to a point where there are enough younger people to work, pay taxes and provide care for us oldies, if we keep living longer.
It is already evident that we have to borrow workers from elsewhere because we haven't enough home-grown workers.
As for land, there's empty spaces everywhere if you go travelling on trains and motorways you'll see loads of it, mostly owned by a few wealthy people.
I think the problem is sharing land and wealth.
Some people hoard both.

The way things are going we will have, in this country, lots of graduates with no jobs and lots of lower paid jobs that won't get filled unless we get workers from elsewhere.
We need more towns to be built together with the infrastructure, properly planned so there's little impact on the planet, flooding, pollution etc.

Get some engineers from Japan to sort out our transport or send our graduates there to learn from them. That would be a start.
Savvy
United States

16-02-2020, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I' ve been saying for a long time that we need more children, every time we have a thread on people having more than two or somesuch subject.
We need to get to a point where there are enough younger people to work, pay taxes and provide care for us oldies, if we keep living longer.
It is already evident that we have to borrow workers from elsewhere because we haven't enough home-grown workers.
As for land, there's empty spaces everywhere if you go travelling on trains and motorways you'll see loads of it, mostly owned by a few wealthy people.
Some people hoard both.

The way things are going we will have, in this country, lots of graduates with no jobs and lots of lower paid jobs that won't get filled unless we get workers from elsewhere.
We need more towns to be built together with the infrastructure, properly planned so there's little impact on the planet, flooding, pollution etc.

Get some engineers from Japan to sort out our transport or send our graduates there to learn from them. That would be a start.
You view seems to sound like a Ponzi Scheme.

If I understand you correctly, we need more and more population to compete for resources to make sure that the existing people get a free ride in their old age.

Keep in mind that the larger group sustaining your position will need even a larger group to take care if their needs, and they may not be happy if that doesn't happen. Don't you think that at some time that that scheme is unsustainable or does it just matter that it is sustainable while you are still here?

Pon·zi scheme
/ˈpänzē ˌskēm/
noun
a form of fraud in which belief in the success of a nonexistent enterprise is fostered by the payment of quick returns to the first investors from money invested by later investors.
"a classic Ponzi scheme built on treachery and lies"

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 10:41 PM

I dont think we are overpopulated as such, its that we require so
many resources to sustain us in the comfort we have become used
to, and all attained with the bare minimum of physical effort?
Plus we allow others to use our fears and needs to exploit us and
our resources for personal benifit?
Can we change this? I doubt it!
Donkeyman!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
You view seems to sound like a Ponzi Scheme.

If I understand you correctly, we need more and more population to compete for resources to make sure that the existing people get a free ride in their old age.

Keep in mind that the larger group sustaining your position will need even a larger group to take care if their needs, and they may not be happy if that doesn't happen. Don't you think that at some time that that scheme is unsustainable or does it just matter that it is sustainable while you are still here?

Pon·zi scheme
/ˈpänzē ˌskēm/
noun
a form of fraud in which belief in the success of a nonexistent enterprise is fostered by the payment of quick returns to the first investors from money invested by later investors.
"a classic Ponzi scheme built on treachery and lies"

Quite !
What people tend to forget that importing people ( or producing more ) is only a temporary solution as they too get older
thereby compounding the problem !
We can’t keep doing this ad infinitum .
And where do all these people get jobs ?
With computerisation there are less jobs available .
Not everyone is clever enough to be a computer whizz and every other job seems to require a degree today .
I don’t know where all these lower paid jobs are but there are always reasons - not always laziness why people don’t take them .
They could be in areas of high rent such as London .
Clearers have to live somewhere too and unless you want to live ten to a room like third world desperate immigrants it’s not on.
Yes you can pick veggies in Lincolnshire- this is seasonal how does anyone build a life on seasonal work ?
It’s easy to say there are loads of jobs available .
I don’t see them
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Can everyone see the clip?
I can see it but since the New York Times said we in the U.K. are all racists for being mean to Meghan I put no store on anything it says .
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 06:44 AM

Yes...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Some people hoard both.

Good post TessA....
Trouble is, that some posters have taken it to the extreme....
As the clip suggested, society has become 'Top Heavy' with so many more people in the autumn of their lives and not enough people in the spring....
Most developed countries are not producing enough children to simply sustain their communities, and by suggesting that we would compound the problem by having more children, just look around, those people have to come from somewhere, and we are importing adults to do what our children should be doing. But they are coming here as adults, and will grow older faster than newborns...

We have upset the delicate balance of society and it will not be easy to restore it, and we seem to be alternating between one crackpot idea to another in the hope of finding a solution.

Because most of the population has been corralled into towns and cities we are experiencing the illusion of being overpopulated. Notice how the countryside is being evacuated... I've noticed in my lifetime where there were once many farms around the countryside, but now they have all been bought out by large consortiums and worked by contractors based in the cities. Farming villages are now tourist attractions, B&B's or holiday cottages for some rich person living in the city.

There is no work for country dwellers anymore and they are being forced into towns and cities to look for work. Villages are being swallowed up by towns, and towns are becoming cities to add to the overpopulated feel of the world. How many people can say that there is not a major house building project going on near them?

Just drive out into the country and look at the space, even in the so called overpopulated UK. And just think of how many other countries far bigger than the UK have thousands of miles of empty space.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top