Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:28 PM

Unloading supermarket shopping carts.

Just reading through the other supermarket thread and it made me wonder if other people often have the same dilemma as I do, and other people too I have noticed.

In some supermarkets the aisle between the checkouts is quite narrow, so do you push the cart through and unload from the back, or do you go through first and pull the cart towards you?

Iīm only small so either way I have sometimes have a problem reaching the items at the back, or front, of the cart.

Sometimes there is enough room for me to stand at the side of the cart, but then I have a problem reaching to put the items on the moving belt.

Some supermarkets have smaller carts which are not so deep, but you canīt get a really large load of shopping in.

How do you unload your cart in the supermarket?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:38 PM

Re: Unloading supermarket shopping carts.

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Just reading through the other supermarket thread and it made me wonder if other people often have the same dilemma as I do, and other people too I have noticed.

In some supermarkets the aisle between the checkouts is quite narrow, so do you push the cart through and unload from the back, or do you go through first and pull the cart towards you?

Iīm only small so either way I have sometimes have a problem reaching the items at the back, or front, of the cart.

Sometimes there is enough room for me to stand at the side of the cart, but then I have a problem reaching to put the items on the moving belt.

Some supermarkets have smaller carts which are not so deep, but you canīt get a really large load of shopping in.

Try taking Mr Clumsy with you and let him do some of the work! I bet he eats half the stuff you buy
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Clumsy, Don’t they have a few wide checkout areas in Spain, like they do in most supermarkets here?

Could you not put two wire baskets in the trolley, fill them up and then put the baskets on the loading area. Then push your trolley forward.

In answer to your question, l would unload, then push the trolley forward.....l really had to think about this one!! Ha!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:45 PM

Walk into the aisle with trolley behind me, then unload onto the conveyor. My problem always comes at the other end I fill my bag and often can't lift it out of the trolley into the car. Few times I've had to unload it into the boot. I think I've got weaker recently.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 02:39 PM

I pull the trolley in behind me and unload like that but then halfway through I have to turn the damn thing round, or switch positions with it to get to stuff at the other end.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Walk into the aisle with trolley behind me, then unload onto the conveyor. My problem always comes at the other end I fill my bag and often can't lift it out of the trolley into the car. Few times I've had to unload it into the boot. I think I've got weaker recently.
I did my fortnightly shopping today and I used one of the shallower trolleys as, like you, I struggle sometimes to get heavy bags out of the deeper ones, especially when, like now, I have an annoying neck/shoulder injury. But it wasn't big enough to hold all my shopping and I ended up with something that resembled the leaning tower of Pisa by the time I got to the checkout
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 02:42 PM

I get the man from Sainsburys to sort alll that out for me, as I now do all my shopping on line.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Taking Mr Clumsy supermarket shopping isnīt really an option. Apart from the fact his legs are not too good, heīs a nightmare..."why are you looking at that if youīre not going to buy it", "how much longer are you going to be", "come on I havenīt got all day", etc, etc. He hates shopping. If he goes shopping on his own, he gets what heīs going for, and thatīs it.

Yes some of the supermarkets do have wide aisles between checkouts, but although itīs then easier to unload the cart, getting the items on the belt is difficult, I have short arms and one that doesnīt work as well as the other.

However, one way or another the shopping gets to the belt. I just wondered if other people had the same dilema.

The supermarket check out people are usually helpful and if Iīm still moving my items back into the cart, they simply switch the next personīs shopping into the next compartment.

If I have a large load of shopping I just put it back into the cart and sort it out either at one of the shelves or when I get to the car.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:00 PM

Our sainsburys is quite good you'd like them clumsy if you ask before checking out they will get a shelf filling person to help you put things on the conveyor and pack for you. No extra cost, they even push the trolley across the carpark and put bags into your car.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->

I scan as I shop so don’t have this problem.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:52 PM

I struggle. Always use a high level small trolly and even with that at times I struggle. I just annoy the hell out of impatient folk and take my sweet time

I go first pulling the trolly behind me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top