Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 10:40 AM

Mouldy Cheese!

Do you scrape it or scrap it?

My mother used to bin it at the first sign of green fur.
My Grandma used to shave the green fur off and use the rest.
Me - well - Cheese never lasts long enough to even think about growing fur here!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 10:51 AM

Re: Mouldy Cheese!

Oh, my. Please do not through it away. Nothing wrong with some green mold. I cut off the green, toss that out, and use what is left. If I have a bunch of cheese left, I wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and stick it back in the fridge.

Some cheeses, like Bleu cheese, have a great deal of mold running thru it. Bleu cheese salad dressing ? YUMMY.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Do you scrape it or scrap it?

My mother used to bin it at the first sign of green fur.
My Grandma used to shave the green fur off and use the rest.
Me - well - Cheese never lasts long enough to even think about growing fur here!
Personally I would scrape the green mould off but like you it never lasts long enough for anything to grow on it.

I just buy the el cheapo 1kg blocks of Coles Cheddar - actually come to think of it I am surprised it is still allowed to be called that.

Occasionally I buy the odd 250gm block of Brie but that is lucky if it lasts a couple of days
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Oh, my. Please do not through it away. Nothing wrong with some green mold. I cut off the green, toss that out, and use what is left. If I have a bunch of cheese left, I wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and stick it back in the fridge.

I find some cheeses don't like being wrapped in plastic, they last much longer in an open tupperware in the fridge.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 11:09 AM

EEeek, No, No, - I would never, ever, wrap cheese in plastic/cling film!

Cheese needs to breathe.

I wrap mine in cheesecloth/muslin and keep it in a basket on the top shelf of the refrigerator.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

24-01-2020, 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=bakerman;1846992]Oh, my. Please do not through it away. Nothing wrong with some green mold. I cut off the green, toss that out, and use what is left. [quote]

Me too - I abhor food waste.

Some cheeses, like Bleu cheese, have a great deal of mold running thru it. Bleu cheese salad dressing ? YUMMY.
I do not like blue cheese to eat as just cheese - but, as you say, it does make excellent salad dressing. I also use it to make Broccoli and Blue Stilton soup which is delicious!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 11:15 AM

Cheese needs to breathe.

I wrap mine in cheesecloth/muslin and keep it in a basket on the top shelf of the refrigerator.
I don't know , sweetie. I never tried cheese cloth or muslin but perhaps I should.
No wish to start any argument but I find that if I wrap my cheddar cheese in plastic wrap, it lasts much, much longer. No matter what the articles say, I don't find that the cheese takes on the odor of the plastic. The way I figure it, the cheddar cheese comes vacuum packed in plastic.
I'll have to run a few tests, some in cheese cloth and some in plastic wrap to see which lasts the longest and to also do a taste test between cheese cloth and plastic.
http://www.splendidtable.org/story/storing-cheese
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 11:24 AM

I do not like blue cheese to eat as just cheese - but, as you say, it does make excellent salad dressing. I also use it to make Broccoli and Blue Stilton soup which is delicious

Ditto, S T - I just love brocolli and blue stilton soup and am now about to Google a recipe for blue cheese salad dressing!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 11:27 AM

parchment or greaseproof paper is better than plastic.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 11:46 AM

Cheese needs to breathe.

Gosh, I would never do that either, Tabby.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top