Join for free
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:11 AM

Carrie Symonds and the Gold Wallpaper

On Sky news this morning there was an item regarding 10 Downing street considering setting up a Whitehall charity, so that Carrie Symonds can do up 11 Downing street. She wants a complete overhaul, including gold wallpaper. The charity will ask for money from Tory Donators.

https://news.sky.com/story/johnson-c...eover-12233219
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:18 AM

Re: Carrie Symonds and the Gold Wallpaper

It won’t be their permanent abode...so why not set up a fund..,

Charity fund?.....I would love to see it once renovated.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:09 AM

I don't see the problem personally.

It's doubtful that any government-owned accommodation is going to be to everybody's tastes and why shouldn't a new occupier be able to put their "stamp" on it just as any renter tries to do when they rent a new property?
FWIW surely it's better that the taxpayer isn't funding redecorating and a makeover.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I don't see the problem personally.

It's doubtful that any government-owned accommodation is going to be to everybody's tastes and why shouldn't a new occupier be able to put their "stamp" on it just as any renter tries to do when they rent a new property?
FWIW surely it's better that the taxpayer isn't funding redecorating and a makeover.
Zaphod - its the sheer crassness of it, given the state of society now in this pandemic. Poverty, job losses, tax rises.....and she has the audacity to whinge about gold wallpaper. I know I'm probably going a bit overboard about it, but what about solidarity with the country? She has the cheek to work with an animal charity, yet is chatting about a charity to fund her redecorating? It just feels so very wrong.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 12:15 PM

On the one hand, it's a good idea to set up a charity to provide funds for the maintenance and conservation of Nos 10 and 11, Downing Street rather than relying on the public purse ..... on the other hand, it seems like a subterfuge to cover Symonds' expensive tastes (she's, allegedly, already spent over £100,000 on refurbishment) by employing multi-millionaire financier and Tory peer Lord Brownlow to run the "charity".
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
It won’t be their permanent abode...so why not set up a fund..,

Charity fund?.....I would love to see it once renovated.
Perhaps Boris is being optimistic and assumes he'll win another election....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 12:48 PM

Hi

The State Rooms and offices are decorated by the Civil Service, nothing to do with Boris.

The Two flats, one at 10 and one at 12 are occupied by Politicians who get an allowance for decorating when they move in.

This allowance is paid for by the Government, us the taxpayer.

Any cost over this allowance is paid for by whoever is living there.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 12:56 PM

It's a publicly owned building, so she should apply for a grant-in-aid payment or apply to Historic England for assistance as it IS a building of great historic interest. It used to be under the wing of DAMHB, but since that was absorbed some years back, I do not know where it's replacement can be found.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 01:00 PM

Who cares?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
Who cares?
I agree, there seems to be an abundance of unnecessary news items these days.....

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top