Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:06 PM

Re: Help me save money

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Interest only can be a nightmare and cost far more in the long run.

Facebook is a good place to sell things, no fees.

Lidl, Home Bargains,and of course the markets are a great way of shopping.

62 is not old and life skills can be very useful.

Advertise locally, small repairs, DIY etc, loads of work out there if you want it.

Best of luck.
Thanks Swimmy, I love Home Bargains and B & M, they both do cheap food too, thanks for reminding me.

I think he really has lost his confidence, he is in IT but his skills are very outdated, I'm trying to talk him into doing some courses to update them but he's very down at the moment and not motivated at all. I'm trying my best to keep him positive and his spirits up.

It's early days so I'm sure he will bounce back, he's overcome some life trials in the past he'll do it again.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:14 PM

Forgot to say, if either of you fancy a part time job, dog walking pays really well, £12 an hour or more around here and it's good fun.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->

We have also been talking about selling our property and moving into over 50s housing complex as that would release some money up for us and we could live off the proceeds of our house.

That sounds a good idea.... but if it's the sort of complex I'm thinking of, you may be landed with hefty bills each year for maintenance etc. on top of your usual bills. But, as I say, I might be thinking of the wrong sort of complex.

The mortgage advisor mentioned equity release but I don't think I like that idea really.

I'd say definitely forget that Queenie

Queenie, I'm sorry to hear your husband lost his job. It was only recently he got it too wasn't it?

Listen petal, think positive. It isn't all bad on the job front.
There are still plenty around, even for your youthful 62yr old hubby. After all, it was only recently he found the latest job. Even though it is no more the fact he got it, means he still employable

Is good walking? To fill in the time while he's looking for another job, how about doing a bit of dog walking? Is he good at anything DIY - lots of people need handymen.

Somewhere in my memory banks there were some people who blogged about their ability to live under a certain amount of money, which was really quite a poultry sum.
No idea what they were called, but it's bound to be on the net somewhere.

Wishing your husband luck in finding his next job petal. He's sure to be feeling deflated, but with you nudging him, he'll bring himself up again. Betcha
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Forgot to say, if either of you fancy a part time job, dog walking pays really well, £12 an hour or more around here and it's good fun.
I work 4 hours a day and I had a second job up until recently but had handed in my notice just before all this happened so I'm on the lookout for a second job again.

Dog walking, oooooh what a great idea, I'd love to do that, thanks for the idea TessA. I could make myself a facebook page couldn't I.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Facebook Market Place is good. When I moved I sold lots of things I didn't need on there
Take a look at your utility bills, I saved a lot by switching things off at the plug, having a water meter etc. If your roof rain water goes into a soak-away instead of drain you get money off your bill etc.
See if you're eligible for Warm Home Discount in the Autumn and any other benefits, you've paid in so don't worry about asking for help.

Lidl and Aldi are very good, I was a bit sceptical but now I do most of my shopping there. BM and Home bargains even sell medicines and chemist items.

Good luck and I hope things look brighter gor you soon x
Thank you TessA fingers crossed things start to look up, I know there are people a lot worse off than us so I'm trying to keep that in mind. I have faith that things won't always be like this, its just we hit another of lifes stumbles x
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:27 PM

Dog walking, oooooh what a great idea, I'd love to do that, thanks for the idea TessA. I could make myself a facebook page couldn't I.
See a few doing that both here are where we lived.
Roughly where are you in UK?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:29 PM

Thanks Swimmy, I love Home Bargains and B & M, they both do cheap food too, thanks for reminding me.

I think he really has lost his confidence, he is in IT but his skills are very outdated, I'm trying to talk him into doing some courses to update them but he's very down at the moment and not motivated at all. I'm trying my best to keep him positive and his spirits up.

It's early days so I'm sure he will bounce back, he's overcome some life trials in the past he'll do it again.
Hi

Life can be hard at times LQ, absolutely brutal.

Yes you do get down, understandable.

You can bounce back and the simple things can be very rewarding.

The cuts were brutal, and Theresa May was more brutal than most, absolutely ruthless.

She now needs people back.

One of my Ex Colleagues went from being the Boss with a private parking place in London to having his entire section abolished.

He is now a gardener and loving every minute of it.

I feel for you LQ, your Dad and now your husband.

It is horrible, but you will come through it.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2019, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
See a few doing that both here are where we lived.
Roughly where are you in UK?
not far from you, I'm in Kirklees area
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2019, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->

Queenie, I'm sorry to hear your husband lost his job. It was only recently he got it too wasn't it?

Listen petal, think positive. It isn't all bad on the job front.
There are still plenty around, even for your youthful 62yr old hubby. After all, it was only recently he found the latest job. Even though it is no more the fact he got it, means he still employable

Is good walking? To fill in the time while he's looking for another job, how about doing a bit of dog walking? Is he good at anything DIY - lots of people need handymen.

Somewhere in my memory banks there were some people who blogged about their ability to live under a certain amount of money, which was really quite a poultry sum.
No idea what they were called, but it's bound to be on the net somewhere.

Wishing your husband luck in finding his next job petal. He's sure to be feeling deflated, but with you nudging him, he'll bring himself up again. Betcha
Thanks Pesta, yes he had only just recently got that job, he was only 3 weeks into the job when they announced that they were going under and someone was coming in to try save the company but heads had to go, my husband was one of them.

I will never understand why they set people on knowing the company was going under, had he known he would have never left his previous job even though he hated it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying that all will come good in the end.

x
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:15 PM

not far from you, I'm in Kirklees area
OK. I think not close enough for dog walking here. But I will ask around.

If there are kennels closer to you they might appreciate dog waking services.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top