Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 11:36 AM

Banana cream pie

BANANA CREAM PIE

Bought too many bananas last week so thought I would use up the four ripe ones left and made this recipe this morning.(definitely not for those on a diet!) HWMO loves bananas and puddings so he has the best of both worlds with this pudding.

You can make your own pastry shell, use frozen pastry or a digestive or rich tea biscuit base in a pie dish (which is what I did). Below is the recipe I followed. Hope you enjoy this if you decide to give it a go.

FOR THE PASTRY CREAM
150g sugar (I used soft brown but granulated or caster sugar is fine)
32g cornflour
½ teaspoon salt
710ml milk
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons vanilla

FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
237ml double cream
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons sugar
Chocolate shavings for decoration.

PASTRY CASE IF PREFERRED
3 ripe bananas
20cm pastry case

BISCUIT BASE IF PREFERRED
3 ripe bananas
110g digestive or rich tea biscuits
50g melted butter
25g sugar

If using a biscuit base, melt 50g butter in a saucepan, take off the heat and stir in the 25g sugar plus the biscuit crumb.
Line the base of a 20cm loose bottomed cake tin with baking paper. Press the biscuit into the bottom of the tin and place in the fridge to chill while making the topping.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

METHOD

STEP 1
To make the pastry cream, In a saucepan, mix together the sugar, cornflour, salt and milk.
Heat over a medium heat, stirring constantly to ensure it doesn’t stick. When it starts to thicken, let it boil for just one minute. Remove from the heat.

STEP 2
With a ladle, slowly add the hot mixture to the lightly beaten egg yolks a little bit at a time while stirring constantly so the eggs don’t curdle. When the eggs are combined thoroughly, add the mixture back into the saucepan.

STEP 3
Place the mixture back onto the stove and simmer for 1 more minute until the pastry cream is the desired thickness. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla.

STEP 4
To make the cream topping, in a bowl, mix together the double cream, vanilla and sugar until stiff peaks form.

STEP 5
To assemble the pie, place the banana slices in a single layer on the bottom of the pie shell of your choice and pour the pastry cream over them. Refrigerate for one hour, then spread the whipped cream over the top. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings across the top and serve to get one of your five a day!! .

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Make Jason Santos- banana cream pie - Recipes - Foodism 30-03-2020 10-39-39.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	12071  
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 04:10 PM

Re: Banana cream pie

Oh God, I'm drooling over my keyboard just looking at that photo.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top