Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2020, 11:04 PM

Re: Alexa Device Issues?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Once you've posted it keezoy, it has to say something. I often have second thoughts about a post and abort it before posting by just X'ing out or clicking on 'Home'...
Yeah thanks OGF. I'll make a note of that. It just puzzles me why it has to say something. Seems odd that "delete" is acceptable but nothing isn't?..C'est..no never mind though.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 09:43 PM

Just discovered that everywhere works fine on virgin radio. In English!

So it's just bbc radio 2 that's no good in "everywhere"
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
No Alexa's crap at navigation.....
Sat Navs are rubbish - can't beat a map and a compass!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sat Navs are rubbish - can't beat a map and a compass!
Ladies are not famous for navigating.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Delete.. (why can't you just delete something full stop?)
You can. Just delete everything and type 5 full stops.
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 06:20 PM

Ted, I dunno why you are getting the sync problem. I got my first two Alexas this Christmas and found out about "Everywhere" which works great with music as you say. If I say play BBC Radio 4 everywhere it says "Sorry I can't find the station you requested" - how are you getting Radio 4? Are you linked to another service? I gave up but if you've solved it I'd love to copy

Also - has anyone worked out a way to have Alexa play music that sits on your home PC? I have 100s CDs downloaded to my PC and my previous dumb wireless speaker would give me full access. However since Amazon music and Google Play Music have both stopped users from linking their own music, it looks like this may no longer be possible, as they want to charge me for music i already own Anyone found a way around this?

Thanks, Mike
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by effingpot ->
Ted, I dunno why you are getting the sync problem. I got my first two Alexas this Christmas and found out about "Everywhere" which works great with music as you say. If I say play BBC Radio 4 everywhere it says "Sorry I can't find the station you requested" - how are you getting Radio 4? Are you linked to another service? I gave up but if you've solved it I'd love to copy

Also - has anyone worked out a way to have Alexa play music that sits on your home PC? I have 100s CDs downloaded to my PC and my previous dumb wireless speaker would give me full access. However since Amazon music and Google Play Music have both stopped users from linking their own music, it looks like this may no longer be possible, as they want to charge me for music i already own Anyone found a way around this?

Thanks, Mike
Use Plex.

Comprehensive instructions here:
https://www.techhive.com/article/325...azon-echo.html

I have to admit though that for a "smart" system, things like this show us just how restricted Alexa really is.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by effingpot ->

Thanks, Mike
As regards R4, you may need to use the BBC sounds app using an Alexa skill. I haven't had any problems with playing R2 or R4.
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
As regards R4, you may need to use the BBC sounds app using an Alexa skill. I haven't had any problems with playing R2 or R4.
Well that was an interesting 3 hours onto Alexa support, who were no help in the end. The short version is this ... my login details for amazon.com and amazon.co.uk are the same. Amazon randomly decided my Alexa account was therefore a US one (despite the UK address and location). Therefore the BBC was not offered as a choice. Support realigned my account to the UK and then I undid all the alexa account and unregistered the devices, changed my login details for amazon.co.uk and set up my alexa account all over again and reset the echos and plugs and started all over again. Now it all works and I even set up PLEX and can play my own music on the echos. Interestingly when I changed my username for amazon.co.uk, the password mysteriously changed to the amazon.com one! Yikes that's a bit of a breach!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

14-01-2021, 11:19 AM

It, certainly, appears to be all down to where Amazon gets it's input from.

By that, I mean that the Welsh (if it is Welsh) spoken in my Amazon BBC Radio 2 everywhere request probably means that, here in Berkshire, the input to Amazon, or Virgin (I'm on Virgin Broadband) is via a connection which is closer to Wales than England.

I haven't, yet, figured out where their input comes from.

Thinking back, though, to my pre Virgin Media days setting up a TV aerial, in my loft, there were various sources from which I could pick the strongest, but that came with news, etc., from different zones.

I think something similar must apply to Alexa.

Virgin Media doesn't come down an aerial, as such, it's high speed cable. But where from?

Note, Alexa won't tell me where the souces are.

I do like problem solving, though, and will find a way!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top