Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 03:52 PM

Re: right unit wrong fitting

Nothing annoys me more than a bodged job so easily done properly. I am no perfectionist but I do like things done correctly or not at all.

In that photo above he had believe it or not cut down a tree trunk from top to bottom on the left hand side and used to 2 flat surfaces as a work bench . it took me ages with a chain saw to cut it all away including the "effort" he used as a support
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Nothing annoys me more than a bodged job so easily done properly. I am no perfectionist but I do like things done correctly or not at all
It was not bodged, not electrically. Well, other than missing the screws.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:23 PM

Apologies realspeed. Was unaware that you had experience with ekectrickery installations.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:31 PM

short answer is no it is just the right fitting for that bit of kit.

Little story for you about earthing

Many years ago when I worked folr BT I was supposed to install a small switchboad in Leatherhead bus garage.
How I was supposed to run cables across a high garage with inspection pit for buses I don't know. with buses coming in and out all the time

The very first thing before anything else was to check any premises to see they had a good earth. Leatherhead bus gagage had no electrical earth at all.

Instantly I threw the job back and refused to do the installation as the switchboard required an electrical earth as part of the system

Was I glad not to get that job or not? you bet is was
So in other words, it was a TT installation where the consumer had not provided an earth terminal connected to a suitable earthing rod. Or have I missed something?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Apologies realspeed. Was unaware that you had experience with ekectrickery installations.
no props. did 5 yr apprenticeship back in the 60's but rules material and regs have changed so much.
I didn't carry on due to the cold and danger(yes, no health and safety back then, seen some terrible accidents).

What put me off as a young lad was threading/bending 3/4 and 1" metal conduits out in the snow, freezing cold at Noel Bowarters daughters farm for a dutch barn they had built .I was only 16 at the time.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:35 PM

no props. did 5 yr apprenticeship back in the 60's but rules material and regs have changed so much.
I didn't carry on due to the cold and danger(yes, no health and safety back then, seen some terrible accidents)
Did they use heavy(ish) gauge trunking back then.

Have come across this stuff at times and wondered if it was a throwback to gas pipe days.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

28-06-2021, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Did they use heavy(ish) gauge trunking back then.

Have come across this stuff at times and wondered if it was a throwback to gas pipe days.
oh yes usually it had 3 channels . one for electrics - one for telephone and the other for data cables. Cutting around wall columns making angle cuts and welding together to make right angle bends was the norm. Later on premade bend ones became available. What always stumped me was parallel swan neck bends in metal conduit, never could get it right

Always remember having to take a bundle of 1" conduit 12 in a bundle to the top of what was Kodaks of Ryslip back then .
I was made to get into a tower crane bucket with them to be lifted to the top of a 3/4 story building. What scared the shit out of me was when the crane driver thought it funny to make the bucket swing with me in it
Back then us young apprentices had a really tough time.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

28-06-2021, 04:53 PM

Scary.

Did a plumbing course and learnt how to bend copper pipe with a hand held, er, bender and steel pipes with a machine.

Lord knows how you dealt with the thicker gauge trunking on site!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

28-06-2021, 05:39 PM

I had to do it with a hand bender not by machine. Trunking was a case of measure cut and weld. As an apprentice back then not only at the beck and call you were learning under but any other trades on site that needed a hand.
I did day release for tech college and 2 days night school as well. They were tough, long days leaving home early morning to get the works dormobile but back by train (often from one side of London to Surrey) straight to night school until 10pm.
Tough working conditions during the day and late home at night.
Try getting the youth of today doing that and you would be told where to go.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

28-06-2021, 06:04 PM

I think that there's still a perception that some trades are monkey work which any old diy'er can do.

Even my paltry course in plumbing opened my eyes. There's stuff that pro trades just "know" through training and time served experience.

Ploughing through the specs on most building work also indicates that there's a whole load more to it than meets the eye. A friend of mine was having a loft conversion done recently which required steels. The calcs alone would be enough to make one's eyes swivel.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top