Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 09:33 AM

Re: Sciatica

I had 6 months of hell with it, and after a night of me with my face buried in a pillow screaming my head off, my OH phoned a Chiropractor and they brought me in as an emergency. After just one session I felt so much better and could walk again. I saw him a couple of times a week for a while then once a week, once every two weeks and now I just go for a maintenance appointment every six weeks. I am sure it was because I had to stop swimming that caused it, I didn't realise how much good it actually did me.....Until it stopped. I can't recommend Chiropractice enough, it was a life saver for me, and I'm so grateful for what they did.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 11:21 AM

I think the causes of Sciatica are many, and what works for one might not work for another, but I agree with Roxy, I had to stop running earlier in the year with Gout and I believe that the layoff from running brought on the sciatica just a few weeks later. Fortunately I didn't have the pain that you have experienced Muddy, but it has prevented me from running for two months. I'm finding it very hard to return to running now as inactivity has taken its toll, but I have no doubt that I'll soon be treading the roads again.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Thanks Bratti
My late husband used to go to acupuncture for his back and found it very effective but I am a needle phobic so I will pass on that one.

Muddy, I had a fear of needles all my life until just a few years back, so I do understand.

Two things come to mind here though.

1. They are not like needles in the sense you are probably thinking. One Acupuncturist showed me once, and many are so fine they are almost like hairs, and you hardly feel them.

2. If they are working on your back, you won't have the fear of seeing them being inserted.

Personally, I would much rather try that, than risk my tummy on strong drugs.

One more thing, if your buttock muscle is tight and painful, use one of Mungo's tennis balls for massage.
Tis true. Just put the ball against a wall, and lean the painful part against it and do a circular motion at whatever strength of pressure you can cope with.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Thanks Bruce I had never heard of this.
God only knows how to get to see a doctor they all diagnose by telephone now.
It so happens I have been in contact with a lady probably around your age in the same predicament so much so that she went private to see a consultant recently . Much can be achieved if you’re willing to open your purse strings eh ?
As a sufferer myself in the past I can only sympathise with you but the body sometimes makes a movement an the pressure on the Sciatic nerve goes , just like that .
As ever I always recommend a really how water bottle but not on bare skin to ease muscle spasm .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Muddy, I had a fear of needles all my life until just a few years back, so I do understand.

Two things come to mind here though.

1. They are not like needles in the sense you are probably thinking. One Acupuncturist showed me once, and many are so fine they are almost like hairs, and you hardly feel them.

2. If they are working on your back, you won't have the fear of seeing them being inserted.

Personally, I would much rather try that, than risk my tummy on strong drugs.

One more thing, if your buttock muscle is tight and painful, use one of Mungo's tennis balls for massage.
Tis true. Just put the ball against a wall, and lean the painful part against it and do a circular motion at whatever strength of pressure you can cope with.
I will try the ball .
If I still lived in the Far East I might go for the acupuncture it as it’s widely used there so they are very good at it but heck I’m a wimp .
I am very careful to eat something before I take any of the meds.
Mungo is also on sick leave as he has been lame on and off for a couple of weeks . ( The vet couldn’t find anything except that he was lame ) So he has meds too and instruction to have a quiet week no ball throwing and gentle walks something that is not in Mungos vocabulary .
Crooks R us !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
It so happens I have been in contact with a lady probably around your age in the same predicament so much so that she went private to see a consultant recently . Much can be achieved if you’re willing to open your purse strings eh ?
As a sufferer myself in the past I can only sympathise with you but the body sometimes makes a movement an the pressure on the Sciatic nerve goes , just like that .
As ever I always recommend a really how water bottle but not on bare skin to ease muscle spasm .
Yes have the hottie bottle at hand .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-07-2021, 11:42 PM

The thing is is I have been a professional horsewoman most of my life and most horse people have back problems .
Comes to us all in time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 12:05 AM

Muddy, sorry to hear you are still in pain, but if you google ' Exercises for Sciatica' you will see there are lots of gentle movements you can do which might help.
The NHS have got some examples on their website too.

Hope Mungo's problem is soon sorted.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

12-07-2021, 12:13 AM

Thank you Mups I am much better than I was and manage now ok in the day as long as I keep moving . It sitting that seems to be the trigger and sleeping. ( Or rather not sleeping but trying to get comfortable .)

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top