Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 09:04 PM

Fish pond

Yesterday afternoon, Marge and I returned from a lovely but exhausting day out in the Peak District.

I realised that the pond water had receded over the past week or two in this hot weather and decided to top it up, so turned on the hose. This was at about half past five.

I then forgot about it and dropped off to sleep.

About five hours later I just happened to be looking out of the back windows and saw water leaking all over the patio. The pond had risen well above the level of the rubber liner and had been overflowing for God knows how long.

Panic!

I'm well aware of the dangers of tap water (with chlorine, or even chloramine) to goldfish. We have a dozen (raised from three - the randy buggers!). Obviously, I dashed outside and turned off the tap, then spent all last night worrying about whether the fish would all be dead. I hate the idea of harming animals, even poor little insects and spiders which I rescue whenever I can.

This morning I went outside to look and was so relieved to see (having cleared away some of the bloody duckweed) that they were still swimming about.

I think I was lucky this time. I'd at least left the hosepipe running with a fine spray, which helps to aerate the water, and there is a pond fountain (and filter) running constantly which may have helped.

I have read that chlorine in the pond water burns the fish both outside and internally through their gills. What a horrible death.

I shall never do that again. If I top up the water again, I'm going to sit there and wait until it's done.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 09:13 PM

Re: Fish pond

Gosh JBR, you were lucky the fish didn't float away in the overspill, too.

Glad everything was alright in the end, although I wouldn't want your water bill this quarter.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 10:07 PM

To be safe, I would still buy a bottle of chlorine remover and add it to the pond. It takes a while for chlorine to disperse so could still harm the fish. They tend to get ill from secondary infections. I often top my pond up without it but your pond has had quite a lot of fresh water.

I have also done that in the past, we actually went out and an hour later suddenly remembered. Luckily, our neighbours were on holiday so they didn't notice that their patio was under 6" of water.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 10:11 PM

You should be ok with goldfish, they’re pretty hardy, koi on the other hand are a bit more sensitive to water changes..as suggested, a de-chlorinator might be the way for you
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 10:26 PM

So how many killer sharks are in your fish pond?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Gosh JBR, you were lucky the fish didn't float away in the overspill, too.

Glad everything was alright in the end, although I wouldn't want your water bill this quarter.

Oh, that's no problem. We're not on a water meter!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-07-2021, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
To be safe, I would still buy a bottle of chlorine remover and add it to the pond.
I thought about that, but by the time I've managed to get hold of some the chlorine will have dispersed by then...
I hope.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-07-2021, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
You should be ok with goldfish, they’re pretty hardy, koi on the other hand are a bit more sensitive to water changes..as suggested, a de-chlorinator might be the way for you
No, just common-or-garden goldfish, so I'm hoping for the best. They're still feeding well, anyway.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 10:32 PM

Glad everything was alright in the end, JB .....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 11:10 PM

Don;t think we're too bad for chlorinated water round here JBR.

Have had a small leak for a few years now which drops the level about 2" below my preferred level, and which I have "fixed" several times unsuccessfully.

I have run a micropipe round to a water point so I can top up without having to unravel a hose, and top up fairly regularly (used to be daily but my latest "fix" only once a fortnight) without any problems whatsoever.

Having said that, during dry weather, I tend to fill my watering cans from the pond. Nutrients have been pretty good for plants and veg this year.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top