Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 08:41 AM

Heat and your health

Hi

Heat can cause serious problems.

Problems coping
Most healthy people tolerate these changes without missing a beat. People with damaged or weakened hearts, or older people whose bodies don’t respond as readily to stress as they once did, have a much harder time, and may succumb to heat stroke. For example:

Damage from a heart attack can keep the heart from pumping enough blood to get rid of heat.
Cholesterol-narrowed arteries can limit blood flow to the skin.
Medications interfere with heat regulation. Beta blockers slow the heartbeat, and so limit the heart’s ability to circulate blood fast enough for effective heat exchange. Diuretics (water pills) make dehydration worse by increasing urine output. Some antidepressants and antihistamines can block sweating.
A stroke, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, and other conditions can dull the brain’s response to dehydration. So, it may fail to send thirst signals.
Hot, humid weather can be especially hard for people with heart failure, or those on the verge of it. The extra work for the heart, compounded by the loss of sodium and potassium and the internal flood of stress hormones, can push some people into trouble. The combination of increased blood flow to the skin and dehydration may drop blood pressure enough to cause dizziness or falls.

It has certainly affected me, luckily I have had a home visit and am now on a Potassium Supplement and a change in medication until the temperature drops.

The bast advice if you have a heart issue is to take things very slowly in this heat.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 09:15 AM

Re: Heat and your health

Good advice Swimmy

I am not venturing out in the heat, I take Chloe out early and after dark and we both stay inside where is is lovely and cool curtains closed windows open Chloe wrapped in a cold damp towel laying by a fan. Poor old lady doesn't like the heat.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 09:24 AM

Thanks Swimmy! That is very good advice.

I'm not good in this heat - not that I have heart problems, but its just too much too soon. The sun seems a lot stronger now and I can't stand being out in it like I used to.
Plus, Like Meg and her wee Chloe, my dog suffers....I wrap her up in a wet towel as well, but she hates it and shakes it off.
Windows closed, blinds closed, fans on...seems to be the only way to deal with this.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 03:11 PM

That’s sound advice Swimmy. I’m glad you’ve taken a sensible approach to dealing with the heat.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 03:27 PM

Hi

I have had another Home Visit, this time from my PTSD Nurse.

They are sharing duties, which is a major step forward.

Very happy with the way I am being treated now.

She also has a great sense of humour, which is great for me.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 04:09 PM

That's sensible, your body tells you what you can and can't do, I feel it even hotter today, I haven't been sitting out , didn't even want to go to asda, so I managed to get a delivery for tomorrow.got the fan on downstairs..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top