Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 01:02 AM

Non Tracking Search Engine

For those who worry that Google is watching them this search engine claims not to track you at all.

https://duckduckgo.com/

BTW I just read this:

Google and Bing Will Prevent UK Users from Visiting Piracy Websites

Two popular search engines have signed up to a voluntary code of practice, which is designed to prevent British Internet users from visiting disreputable content providers. In other words, if you search for entertainment content like music, videos, books or sports, you will more likely be taken to bona fide providers rather than pirate sites. The changes might be rolled out as soon as by the summer.

Organizers explain that the code will run in parallel with existing anti-piracy measures aimed at reducing copyright infringement in the web, including court ordered website blocking, work with advertisers and consumer education campaign. They note that sometimes Internet users will search for something and end up unwittingly being taken to pirated content. As such, they want to ensure is that the results at the most popular search engines are genuine. This is supposed to protect both people who use the Internet and the creators of that material.

The representative of the Motion Picture Association in Europe admitted that pirate websites were now much too easy to find via search engines, so they appreciated the tech giants’ willingness to try to improve that situation.

Another reason to abandon Google.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 10:48 AM

Re: Non Tracking Search Engine

Thanks Bruce
Mojeek is a British university browser with no tracking

Must try DuckAndGo
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 09:27 AM

I don't download/save music, films or other from the Internet very much. Just a few paid-for music collections, tracks and Kindle books from Amazon is all so far. The moves by Google or Bing wouldn't therefore affect me personally.

I don't use either of them on a regular basis though, I prefer to use Startpage. The search results seem better presented. It's also another non-tracking/private search engine.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Two popular search engines have signed up to a voluntary code of practice, which is designed to prevent British Internet users from visiting disreputable content providers. In other words, if you search for entertainment content like music, videos, books or sports, you will more likely be taken to bona fide providers rather than pirate sites. The changes might be rolled out as soon as by the summer.

The representative of the Motion Picture Association in Europe admitted that pirate websites were now much too easy to find via search engines, so they appreciated the tech giants’ willingness to try to improve that situation.

Another reason to abandon Google.
When I read something like this, I find myself having a certain cynicism based on the suspicion that there may be a financial motivation in there somewhere.

How about the possibility that the search owners offer to sell places in a league table of which products come up first in the search?

Imagine the attraction, to a manufacturer, of always being at the top of the search heap.

Of course they wouldn't do that, would they?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top