Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 11:49 PM

Re: paying by subscription

Originally Posted by Devo ->
There are one or two programmes I would miss and would probably pay a subscription to watch but the really massive loss to the nation would be BBC radio, which often has no analogue in the commercial radio sector. How will that be saved? Or are we destined to be dumbed down in the name of far right zealotry?
Dragging ourselves away from your deep-seated hatred of right-wing voters just for a moment, perhaps I could mention that you don't need a TV licence for radio!

I'd be happy for the Broken Biscuit Company to continue to transmit radio programmes for as long as they want.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 11:59 PM

How does it pay for them if not from the license fee?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2020, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
How does it pay for them if not from the license fee?
Advertising. Same as Classic FM, etc, etc.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Does that mean they would scrap the license fee then?
I sincerely hope so! I fail to see why the licence fee should cover the £300M+ costs of running their World Service Radio services. If the government want the WSR to remain, then let the government fund the service
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2020, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I sincerely hope so! I fail to see why the licence fee should cover the £300M+ costs of running their World Service Radio services. If the government want the WSR to remain, then let the government fund the service
BBC World Service is funded by the UK government through Parliamentary Grant-in-Aid. The Parliamentary Grant-in-Aid is administered by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). It is not subsidised by the Licence Fee. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-radio-and-tv-12760872

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top