Join for free
Page 12 of 23 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 11:35 AM

Re: Let's Face It Ireland Got Screwed

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
If the people in NI decide in a referendum to unite with the ROI then I will be happy for them. It's their choice and would be just as democratic as the people of UK voting to leave the EU. In that eventuality the UK would save approx £9 billion every year - more than our net contribution to the EU. So a win for democracy and a win for the UK taxpayer.

I notice you failed to answer my question about grandchildren yesterday.
Wow! I had no idea the savings would be that high.
Now I'm more in favour of Irish unification.

I wonder whether Scottish independence could yield as much or more.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Yes indeed, and on paper a united Ireland would appear to solve the problem but I don't think that it will happen any time soon. And at the risk of repeating myself, the RoI can't afford it!

Solasch, do not assume that everyone in NI who voted for Brexit is a Unionist.

Solasch, do not assume that everyone in the UK who voted for Brexit is anti Europe. They are not. They are anti Brussels. There is a big difference.

If they had only stuck to the Common Market trade agreement which we voted for back in the 70's we would not be having this discussion!
I completely agree.

Though you seem to be responding to the wrong person!
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Wow! I had no idea the savings would be that high.
Now I'm more in favour of Irish unification.

I wonder whether Scottish independence could yield as much or more.
I think we would save about £12 billion.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 12:13 PM

Divide and conquer!

In my opinion we are far stronger as a UNITED kingdom; and that includes Scotland, Wales, Northern Island and even Eire should they wish to chuck in their lot with us instead of the EU....What has happened in the past is water under the bridge, and it's what will happen in the future that counts. As a UNITED nation we are a match for anyone else in the world, both industrial and military, but you just need the belief and courage that we once had.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-07-2020, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Divide and conquer!

In my opinion we are far stronger as a UNITED kingdom; and that includes Scotland, Wales, Northern Island and even Eire should they wish to chuck in their lot with us instead of the EU....What has happened in the past is water under the bridge, and it's what will happen in the future that counts. As a UNITED nation we are a match for anyone else in the world, both industrial and military, but you just need the belief and courage that we once had.....
I have to disagree about Ireland.
Before long we'd have the years leading up to 1922 all over again and the IRA (or whatever they call themselves now) would have free access to Britain.
Remember all the bombings?

No. Leave them as they are now.

If NI want to join them, that's OK.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
All doom and gloom then? Tell me the worst thing that's going to happen to us now we've left? What's the biggest benefit we've tossed aside?
It's never all "doom & gloom" - not even when you take a dump in your own backyard, as the UK did with Brexit.

The worst thing that is going to happen? Probably the economic hardship that will be caused by spaffing all of the economic benefits of EU membership up the wall - pardon the Johnsonian turn-of-phrase in that sentence.

Brexiteers will continue to deny this - I have no intention whatsoever of wasting time re-hashing arguments which have bounced back-and-forth on these forums and elsewhere ad infinitum. But that is my answer. The political reasons for leaving the EU - well, a bit of them - I get; the economic stuff you would need the brain of a duck to agree with. And that is an insult to ducks.

Incidentally, Boris Johnson is not and never was a convinced and sincere Brexiteer - unlike, for instance, Bill Cash and the rest of them. Reporters traipsed around following the hapless Honey Monster for weeks before he finally took the plunge, and the reason he did that was to promote his chances of becoming Tory Party leader:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNzIpPpK2BI

He's an Old Etonian, remember - he just wants to be captain of the school cricket-team. He could equally have swung the other way, and would easily have done so to gain power. A total opportunist.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 12:38 PM

I have to disagree about Ireland.
Before long we'd have the years leading up to 1922 all over again and the IRA (or whatever they call themselves now) would have free access to Britain.
Remember all the bombings?

No. Leave them as they are now.

If NI want to join them, that's OK.

I like the Paddy's and there's good fishing around the emerald Isle
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
He's an Old Etonian, remember - he just wants to be captain of the school cricket-team. He could equally have swung the other way, and would easily have done so to gain power. A total opportunist.
What's worse in an international statesman, his word cannot be trusted.

Johnson tells Northern Ireland businesses to ‘bin’ customs forms
Boris Johnson told supporters there would be ‘no forms, no checks, no barriers of any kind’ on goods crossing the Irish sea after Brexit.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-38674258.html

On top of that, he is a coward. Instead of telling he was wrong, he has michael gove do the dirty work for him.
Boris Johnson’s government has admitted it will erect Brexit border control posts for goods crossing the Irish Sea https://www.businessinsider.nl/brexi...onal=true&r=US
Michael Gove accused of ‘double speak’ over post-Brexit Irish border checks
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...ireland-latest
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-07-2020, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I like the Paddy's and there's good fishing around the emerald Isle
I agree, and have some Irish friends.

But I don't think it is to our advantage to have Ireland as part of the UK and I'm sure the majority of Irish people would agree.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 02:24 PM

I agree, and have some Irish friends.

But I don't think it is to our advantage to have Ireland as part of the UK and I'm sure the majority of Irish people would agree.
Well, there are very strong links with the Irish and the USA. This could work out well in a future trade deal for students, jobs, investment etc.

Page 12 of 23 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top