Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 07:26 PM

Observing 2 minutes silence.

I always try to do this on the 11th as it means a lot to me coming from a Services background but it seems it no longer means that much to an increasing number of people.

At work I got incredulous looks because I said "it's 10 to 11 and I want to observe the 2 minutes silence so you'll just have to wait!"

Is it because the ceremony precedes that actual day do you think?

I find it hard coping with people walking past me laughing and chatting when I'm standing there deep within my own thoughts, remembering mainly family who are long gone who "did their bit" plus all the millions of others.

It doesn't seem to bother them at all and one of them gave that universal "silly old sod" whirling finger sign too - do the younger ones not have any respect these days?

I told my wife about Holland yesterday and what they did back in May 1976 when I was working over there.

I was in traffic, on my way to work when a siren sounded and everyone got out of their cars.

People actually banged angrily on my car bonnet so I got out and they told me it was their 2 minutes silence and asked me to observe it with them, so I did.

Rotterdam was savagely bombed the day before the Dutch Army surrendered in WWII and feelings were still very strong back in 1976.

I suppose it's still like that there but maybe it's not now and it's just me.

So sad. stevmk2
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 07:29 PM

Re: Observing 2 minutes silence.

There were 4 of us out for late breakfast today and all 4 observed the 2 minutes silence, nobody else bothered they didn't even turn the background music off, we were disgusted.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 07:33 PM

I'm afraid that the British people in general are not the same sort of people I grew up with.

O tempore, O mores.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 07:36 PM

I'm surprised at this - just watched the news and was moved to tears, as years before, to see people absolutely still in each city for the 2 minute silence
I stand at that time and after each bell sounded I whisper 'bless you all'
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 07:47 PM

I'm surprised at this. All my cronies and my youngsters observe the silence whether at work or home.
Driving is difficult but apart from that...
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 09:01 PM

Stevmk2...On May 4th Dutch remebrance day there is 2 minutes silence at 8 pm.
Nothing moves. All tv and radio stations are silent busses pull over no train leaves a station and no flights leave Schipol.
All shops and bars are close at 8pm by law..
Everyone is indoors..

Watch the airport fall still at 8pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jba1QUKfDGU
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 09:31 PM

It is only right that the 2 minute silence should be observed, not really much to ask IMO.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 09:45 PM

Cass, that's an amazing video, thanks for posting it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 10:42 PM

I always observe it - where ever I happen to be - such a little thing to do for those who did so much!
Nightowl
suffolk
Nightowl is female 

11-11-2015, 10:43 PM

I work in the retail industry, face to face with customers, most observed
the two minutes silence. Just a few (all young people) who continued walking, talking and picking up things from shelves etc.

Morons.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top