Join for free
Page 6 of 16 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Re: Anarchists or activists?

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I support both their aims and their methods. Right now the majority of people just won't face the proven facts.

Probably because they don't or can't understand what is taking place in OUR environment and what can and must be done.

So no, not anarchists, just activists and they certainly are needed.
How about terrorists?

They should be punished as such and imprisoned or at least heavily fined. They are the equivalent of animal rights activists who think it's acceptable to threaten and cause criminal damage to the properties of those whom they suspect work in laboratories that may use animals in research, and terrorise the families of those workers.

A few years in prison should await the serious offenders.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
How about terrorists?

They should be punished as such and imprisoned or at least heavily fined. They are the equivalent of animal rights activists who think it's acceptable to threaten and cause criminal damage to the properties of those whom they suspect work in laboratories that may use animals in research, and terrorise the families of those workers.

A few years in prison should await the serious offenders.
In the case of environmental protesters they are the very antithesis of being terrorists.

However the animal protection lot are a very different kettle of fish. Some of that lot cross the line.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:53 AM

In the case of environmental protesters they are the very antithesis of being terrorists.

However the animal protection lot are a very different kettle of fish. Some of that lot cross the line.
Spraying fake blood everywhere was carefully planned and orchestrated and is another step towards more extreme measures when this one didn't have the desired effect. Nobody was interested in the message, just the criminal damage caused.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 01:25 PM

Spraying fake blood everywhere was carefully planned and orchestrated and is another step towards more extreme measures when this one didn't have the desired effect. Nobody was interested in the message, just the criminal damage caused.
Criminal damage?

Hardly.

In any case it got the message out and is absolutely nothing when compared with the obscene real criminal damage being done to our world with very few people realising much less understanding and trying to remedy it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

05-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Criminal damage?

Hardly.

In any case it got the message out and is absolutely nothing when compared with the obscene real criminal damage being done to our world with very few people realising much less understanding and trying to remedy it.
Hardly? You don't consider the spraying of gallons of red `blood` onto buildings and pavements as criminal damage?

What if next time, it's petrol - would you consider that criminal damage?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

05-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Hardly? You don't consider the spraying of gallons of red `blood` onto buildings and pavements as criminal damage?

What if next time, it's petrol - would you consider that criminal damage?
No, though it would be polution with a hazardous material and arson if they lit it up.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:57 PM

No, I'm very much an omnivore, but that doesn't mean that I don't see the rightness of eating less or preferably no living creatures.

But the OP was related to eco-heroes who have become active in public, I brought the subject of vegetarians and how public protests do affect social behaviour.

As for consumption of meat being on the rise, part of that is due to the increase in global population, part due to people being able to buy meat, but in the case of the UK the per capita stats show a reduction in meat eating, same in North America, and Canada. Source BBC Feb 04 2019 headed "Which countries eat the most meat?".
For heaven's sake; your stance is nothing more than "Do as I say, not as I do." Do it! Become a vegetarian! I can help with recipes and shopping tips having been a vegetarian for 30 years. You are the first person I have really challenged to give up meat - and you know exactly why you should give it a go.

I feel sick about all the insects, spiders, worms, and microflora that were killed in that attack. Killing a few (and actually there were millions) lives to save a lot is hardly justifiable.

First, do no harm.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

05-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
For heaven's sake; your stance is nothing more than "Do as I say, not as I do." Do it! Become a vegetarian! I can help with recipes and shopping tips having been a vegetarian for 30 years. You are the first person I have really challenged to give up meat - and you know exactly why you should give it a go.

I feel sick about all the insects, spiders, worms, and microflora that were killed in that attack. Killing a few (and actually there were millions) lives to save a lot is hardly justifiable.

First, do no harm.

Nothing wrong with a "do as I say not as I do" stance as long as someone recognises that what they do is not the best way to go.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 05:18 PM

Nothing wrong with a "do as I say not as I do" stance as long as someone recognises that what they do is not the best way to go.
I respectfully disagree. "Do as I say..." causes one to lose credibility, weakens the momentum for the cause, and creates backlash.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

05-10-2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I respectfully disagree. "Do as I say..." causes one to lose credibility, weakens the momentum for the cause, and creates backlash.
Well there ya go!

Check out my signature .....

Page 6 of 16 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top