Join for free
Page 342 of 370 « First < 242 292 332 340 341 342 343 344 352 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 04:56 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Running has literally been my sanity the last month and I have missed posting her. It is so, so good to be back! For the first time in ages, but for good reasons, my running has been sporadic. Beck in Florida, the weather is cool and foggy most morning making for eerie but cozy runs. I am out of shape and a bit deflated about my pace, but that should come back with some dedicated days.

More importantly, I am pleased as punch to read about your new regimen, Silver Tabby and am proud of you for your diligence . Can you notice a change in your overall fitness?

OGF, I am disappointed to read about your toe . What kind of treatment are they recommending? If it's inflammatory, can cool soaks help at all? I made my annual 1,500 goal for the year, but just by inches .

Tachyon, it makes me pleased as punch to read that you are breathing well - and in conjunction with your workouts too! I am impressed with your workouts and hope you stay determined.

Alright, y'all. I am here to keep myself honest and to report that I am starting the new year another year older, but no less determined.

I've missed you all!

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 01:05 PM

Welcome back Surfermom and Happy New Year....
That's marathon training mileage what you have achieved for the year, brilliant and impressive..... you might consider running one this year.....I can recommend them...

My years total mileage ended up at 1124....Just a run from here to New York if it was road all the way....

My toe flared up on New Years Day and prevented me from running until the 9th of January, since then I've done a couple of fives and this morning a steady eight. Doctor reckons it is gout, but I think there is a bit of bunion in there as well. The red wine certainly doesn't do it any good.

She (the doctor) offered me Colchicine but I declined, there is also something else you have to take to stop it upsetting your stomach. I don't like taking stuff and I'm not getting on that roundabout. So I take a 200mg Ibuprofen as and when and certainly not more than once a day. Less if I can. I might go back and get a second opinion, one of the doctors is a runner, if you can get in to see him, he's very popular with the ladies if you get what I mean.....

Mrs Fox was rushed into hospital on Thursday so it might be a while between posts, just bear with me, I'll write when I can, but with all the washing, vacuuming, feeding the ever hungry cat and taking Mrs Fox stuff in and dirty stuff home time is short these days, and I've got to eat haven't I.......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 04:58 AM

Good grief! Is Mrs. OGF improving and hopefully home by now? I hope this was not serious. Please send her my wishes for a speedy recovery.

I am sure all this running around isn't helping you toe much, just be sure you are avoiding fatty meals and really push for the running doctor. I expect he would be more inclined to understand your needs. I know you are talking about pain medications, but I that there is also a medication that treats the crystals that are caused by increased uric acid that goes by the generic name of allopurinol here. Might be worth talking to Dr. Hunk. Please send him my good wishes, too.

You have a lot more confidence in my running abilities than I do! I have never raced anything more than a 10K which I enjoyed very much. I think I'll just keep plugging along with only the pelicans tracking (and snickering about) my mileage.

This is a heavenly time of year on the Gulf Coast. The tourists are few and the roads are mostly clear, which makes adventuring out much more appealing. Today, I choose to start at the river headlands and meander along it's marshy shoreline. This trek affords intermittent views of the river and estuary that is teeming with life due to the rich oyster beds and mullet that gather near the docks that dot the shoreline. It's quite a noisy place this time of year with flocks of starlings and other snowbirds that gather here for their winter feasting. I also enjoy this route because it gives me an opportunity to stop in and see an elderly lady who has lived on the river bank since 1927. She is the one who has told me about the archaeology and anthropology of this area and is a trove of knowledge. Though it wrecks my run by splitting it in two, our visit is always worth it ten times over. We sit on her porch in rocking chairs, sip water, and watch the tide pull the water away...

Anyhow, I did manage to fit in five, however I must confess that I utterly destroyed the benefits with the buttermilk biscuits (akin to your scones) that she sent with me.

Five miles.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 08:06 AM

Hi Surfermom - quite envious of the idea of sitting on a porch watching the sea!

Walked six miles today - along the riverbank - nice but chilly to begin with - soon warmed up though. When I came home I did my 'strength and stamina' lot while the blood was still warm and the brain still willing!!

Just waiting for my eggs to cook now - breakfast - then housework for the day!

Keep smiling!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 12:23 PM

Where do I start?......So many posts to write and so little time.....

That's great Tabby, I reckon six miles would take me two hours of walking, and these days, an hour of running.....You must be attaining a very good level of fitness.... And yes, that porch sounds very inviting to me also....

Your location sounds idyllic Surfermom, and to be content with your life and running is as good as it gets. Over the years I've seen young new runners chasing seconds off their personal bests and admire their enthusiasm, but the older I get I realise the true meaning of satisfaction and fulfilment. I'm glad to have done the things in the past, they have made me what I am today but to love running and nature carries many more rewards than knocking a few seconds off your PB.

Mrs Fox is unfortunately still in hospital Surfermom and may be so for a few days yet. I will pass on your regards, thanks...

My toe appears to be a double edged sword.... On the one hand the Gout has made the joint swollen and very painful, on the other hand, the bunion needs to be worked daily to maintain flexibility. As the pain from the gout recedes, I can start to exercise the joint more thoroughly and yesterday's eight miler might have seemed extreme on the day but the joint seems to have settled down considerably this morning....

I was unable to get an appointment with (the hunk) doctor today, but will try again tomorrow.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

14-01-2020, 05:49 AM

Silver Tabby, that's an incredible distance! That's terrific! You earned your breakfast, most definitely.

OGF, I don't know how you do eight so consistently, toe problems or no. It is a strange phenomenon that a lot of different types of pain disappear after you've been running for a while.

Fog, fog, fog and five miles. It was eerie, warm, and though I looked like a wilted flower when done, every mile was a good one.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 02:09 PM

Back to the Swimming Pool this morning after the break, boy was it busy. But I did 40 lengths, hope all these new faces get fed up soon and stop coming, then it will return to normal and peace will return.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 02:45 PM

Foxy, so sorry to hear about Mrs. Fox. I really hope she is alright, and recovers very soon.

I read a little snippet in the paper the other day and it made me think of you.
I cut it out to tell you about it, by I have gone and lost the cutting now!

It was about a man who runs every day of his life, like you.
I wish I could find my bit of paper now, but I know he held the world record for running every single day for 59 years and so many hours.

I see you have a foot problem at the mo, and found this, I don't know if you have seen it before?
If you scroll right down, it is about running as we age, and it is divided into different age groups. It may or may not be of interest to you.
Hope you and your good lady both feel on the mend soon. x

https://www.runnersworld.com/advance...ng-as-you-age/
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-01-2020, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Foxy, so sorry to hear about Mrs. Fox. I really hope she is alright, and recovers very soon.

I read a little snippet in the paper the other day and it made me think of you.
I cut it out to tell you about it, by I have gone and lost the cutting now!

It was about a man who runs every day of his life, like you.
I wish I could find my bit of paper now, but I know he held the world record for running every single day for 59 years and so many hours.

I see you have a foot problem at the mo, and found this, I don't know if you have seen it before?
If you scroll right down, it is about running as we age, and it is divided into different age groups. It may or may not be of interest to you.
Hope you and your good lady both feel on the mend soon. x
Thanks Mups, Mrs Fox is going down for a serious operation tomorrow, so we're both a bit worried, but she is being well looked after in Doncaster Royal Infirmary, and I'm told that the surgeon is one of the best.....

Managed to struggle round a five mile course this morning before it got light and although my big toe was still a bit swollen and painful it turned out to be a decent run....

Thanks also for the link Mups, it was very interesting. I wondered if the chap you mentioned was Ron Hill? My hero.....

Ronald "Ron" Hill MBE (born 25 September 1938) is an English runner and clothing entrepreneur. He was the second man to break 2:10 in the marathon; he set world records at four other distances, but never laid claim to the marathon world record.[nb 1] He has run two Olympic Marathons (Tokyo 1964 and Munich 1972), and has a personal marathon record of 2:09:28.[3] In 1970, Hill won the 74th Boston Marathon in a course record 2:10:30. He also won gold medals for the marathon at the European Championships in 1969 and the Commonwealth Games in 1970. Hill lays claim to the longest streak of consecutive days running, running every day for 52 years and 39 days from 1964 to 2017.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-01-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Silver Tabby, that's an incredible distance! That's terrific! You earned your breakfast, most definitely.

OGF, I don't know how you do eight so consistently, toe problems or no. It is a strange phenomenon that a lot of different types of pain disappear after you've been running for a while.

Fog, fog, fog and five miles. It was eerie, warm, and though I looked like a wilted flower when done, every mile was a good one.
Running has become a way of life to me now Surfermom, and the amount of times over the years that I started my run with some kind of pain only to find it tolerable after a mile or two is staggering.....

Something unique about running in the fog surfermom, I love it.....And well done by the way....

Page 342 of 370 « First < 242 292 332 340 341 342 343 344 352 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top