Join for free
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 09:31 AM

'Forced Exercise' reduces neurological symptoms!

I'd like to share this incase it helps anyone else. The study was with Parkinsons patients but it can also help other neurological conditions that would produce similar symptoms (it worked for me originally dx with Cerebellar Ataxia)

Video clip here

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...s-917498947693

Cycling has been shown to actually slow down the progression of Parkinsons.

Cycling can increase certain proteins in the brain that help movement and cognitive function. The changes in the brain are actually similar to what happens with medications.

To activate the changes in the brain it has to be "FORCED EXERCISE" - so the body is working harder than it could usually physically manage for example by being on electric therapy pedals and the motor moving your legs faster than you'd be able to pedal yourself.

(A study has also been done using tandems with the patient with Parkinsons on the back and able bodied person at front controlling the pace of the ride, which also had the same benefits).

3 times a week for 45 mins at 80-90RPM's (not sure how to know when you're doing 80-90 RPM's?? .. but going at a faster speed than you'd be able to pedal naturally yourself would work).

In Parkinsons patients this has helped reduce tremor and 'movement freeze'. My original tremor and muscle spasms have completely gone.

When I first started I was told it wouldn't work by a neuro physio, as I needed manual pedals to build leg strength! Due to the ataxia I didn't have the co-ordination to make a smooth pedalling motion though so I couldn't at that time use manual pedals.

Fortunately (for me) I ignored her and bought some as I felt I had nothing to lose by trying to 're-train my brain' if I could get anything back that would help me stay independant!

The first time after only 5 minutes on the pedals it made my legs shake vigorously. so next time I tried only 1 minute on them and slower and built up.

Fast forward a several years... the highest speed is now too easy for me and I've moved onto a manual exercise bike!

Today I did a cycling DVD of Mount Tidae (24km to summit) and completed the whole length of the video for the first time ever on manual pedals!!! - pedalling under my own steam. - ok first time I tried with easy resistance just to see if I could do the whole 24km in one go... but next time I'm going to increase the resistance and add leg weights!

My only problem now is although I've managed to improve my balance and co-ordination I've now got arthritis starting these last few winters as I hit my 50's! so just as I was improving my walking ability, its now painful to stand and walk, so I'm still dependant on the mobility scooter (or a wheelchair) to get anywhere further than the house and garden!

It's frustrating but I'm going to try to aim to be able to walk further on 'good days' and will just have to accept bad days may still happen no matter how fit I manage to get. (though I'll try and aim to have as few bad days as possible through winter).

In the meantime I'm also researching natural supplements/foods that will help boost the immune system (as all my symptoms have been related to immune or neurological system problems), in the hope I can at least make winters a bit less painful! As at least for now in my case it's only the freezing weather that triggers severe inflammation and very high pain levels. Rainy days just trigger stiff muscles, all over aches and pains for me at this point. Though the arthritis has only started for me the last few winters, so I'm guessing (on its own without the additional neurological condition) the arthritis would still be considered 'mild' at this stage?

My new aim is to try and reduce the inflammation from the arthritis for this next winter so I can get up and dressed when its cold without pulling a muscle and spending the next few weeks in even more pain and back to needing the wheelchair just to get to the loo!! (which has happened every year for the last few winters when it's been coldest, usually minus degrees day and night temperatures)

Don't mind a bit of initial stiffness (I expect it) as long as a gentle morning stretch/yoga session would relieve it within say 30 mins so I could get on with my day.

Would also like to be able to walk a bit further in one go without having to sit down so I could get to the nearest field down the road with an all terrain walker or something (so could still sit down for a breather and to chuck the dogs ball when I got there..lol!) ..maybe an aim for next summer.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 09:58 AM

Re: 'Forced Exercise' reduces neurological symptoms!

Video won't load, Susan

It's always been a well-known fact that exercise can help greatly with diseases such as Parkinson's and other serious illnesses.
Cycling is typical of a good form of exercise and this news bulletin from the US - Hey! a breakthrough! is basically the same as doing the standard 45-minute 'spinning' class at the gym that have been around for decades.
If it "works" though, it is to be encouraged and I wish you well with any improvement in your condition Susan.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Video won't load, Susan

It's always been a well-known fact that exercise can help greatly with diseases such as Parkinson's and other serious illnesses.
Cycling is typical of a good form of exercise and this news bulletin from the US - Hey! a breakthrough! is basically the same as doing the standard 45-minute 'spinning' class at the gym that have been around for decades.
If it "works" though, it is to be encouraged and I wish you well with any improvement in your condition Susan.
Not sure why video doesn't work , it worked on mine! Try googling 'cycling to improve parkinsons' some video's should come up (there's others on youtube too).

It wasn't a well known fact to me! When I first discovered the words 'Neuroplasticity' and 'forced exercise' and asked my professional neuro physio I was told it had never been tested or proven for my condition so she couldn't recommend it!

I guess the point was also that many of the patients with Parkinsons would not have been able to 'just go' to a 45 min spinning class originally as it was done with patients who were experiencing tremor and gait freezing etc

Only pedalling as fast as they could have managed on a regular exercise bike (at that point in their illness) to start with wouldn't have activated the same area of the brain. Which is why I wouldn't have been able to achieve pedalling on a normal exercise bike back then either.

It's a different area of the brain being activated when you're pedalling under your own steam, especially if neuro issues mean you can't physically do the smooth pedalling motion yourself due to faulty wiring or brain injury.

Try this link

https://www.bicycling.com/news/g20011415/-16/

QUOTES

"The real benefits come from what the scientists coin “forced exercise,” going at a faster rate of speed—about 30% ideally—than you normally would. (For most cyclists with Parkinson’s the goal is 80 rpm or higher; many pedal only 40 to 50 rpm on their own.)

The Science behind it

“We think the benefits come from the increased rate of information to the brain,” Alberts says. “As you make your movements faster, more regular and more efficient, you have an increase in the quality and quantity of information going to the brain, which potentially triggers the release of neurotrophic factors or proteins in the brain that are responsible for improvements in motor and cognitive function.”

Anyway sorry it's old news, but maybe someone else who didn't know either might come across it and it might help them, if you leave it on the board?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 12:01 PM

I could see the video Susan, and well done in your persistence, it really has paid off for you and you are an example to us all.....It's been a long time since I stopped taking any notice of what the medical profession advised....Some of us prefer to do things without medication which in my experience, medication causes more problems than it solves...Keep up the good work....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 02:11 PM

The video was OK for me as well. I'm glad the cycling is working for you but be careful not to overdo it.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 01:52 PM

Any exercise is good exercise, it doesn't need to be 'forced'. Only in the way that you need a certain amount of motivation to actually get yourself active in the first place.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:01 PM

One of my friends has ataxia Susan, i.ll show her this, thank you for sharing. I.d never heard of ataxia until I met Claire 4 years ago, her balance is bad.. Anything that may help is a good thing.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top