Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 04:13 PM

Re: Bottled Water

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Bottled water takes 3 litres of water to produce one litre of bottled.

The world has gone mad.

Massive use of plastics.

The only bottled water I drink in the Uk is San Pellegrino, and that is in glass bottles.

I drink bottled water only in those Countries where tap water is unsafe for drinking.
San Pellegrino is lovely I have to say, especially when it's straight out of the fridge. I drank almost nothing but when I lived in Italy. The fizzy stuff in cans that they make, on the other hand, is awful imho.

Bottled water for me too in areas where the local water is unsafe.

If you don't like the taste of normal tap water, but a filter jug and use that. Also, buy a bottle of lime & lemon squash to flavour the water. Cheaper over all than buying bottles of commercially made up flavoured waters.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 08:35 PM

I read that tap water can be stored for 6 months and still be OK to drink but bottled water can be safe to drink up to 2 years. The article I read suggested this could be because of air in the top of bottled tap water. Maybe it's not air in that empty space in the bottle when is comes to bought bottled water. Perhaps it's something more inert. I'm not sure.

I keep a 2 litre plastic bottle of tap water in the fridge during the hot weather and drink lots of it. I put the bottle in the freezer if I want to cool it quickly. I might buy bottled water if I'm on a day out but wouldn't buy it to drink at home. Tap water is OK for that.

The bottle used for the tap water originally had supermarket fizzy orange drink in it. When this is gone, that bottle is used for the tap water. I tend to drink roughly equal amounts of fizzy orange and water (sometimes mix the two), so the bottle for the water is changed fairly frequently.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Bottled water takes 3 litres of water to produce one litre of bottled.

The world has gone mad.

Massive use of plastics.

The only bottled water I drink in the Uk is San Pellegrino, and that is in glass bottles.

I drink bottled water only in those Countries where tap water is unsafe for drinking.
That must be to make the plastic bottle then Swimmy !
Crazy as you say!!
I think there is alot of fraud involved in bottled water, with municiple
water which has allready been treated, being bottled and sold
as spring water at a considerable profit??

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Does anyone know how safe bottled water is?

I know it is thought that the plastic containers release nasty chemicals if left laying in sun - like when left in hot cars, or the cyclists who fix them to their bicycles etc, but do we know if the water is safe otherwise?

I was looking at some in a supermarket earlier this week, and it had an expiry date of 2022 on it.

How can water be safe kept for that length of time?

I know if I poured some tap water into a plastic bottle and screwed the top on, no way would I drink it 2 years later!

So what do they do to shop bought bottled water to preserve it?
Having tried various bottled water, I found Chase Spring to be the best tasting especially when carbonated (fizzy). After shopping around I found 2litres available from Tesco at a very reasonable 17p
I like to mix my own choice of cordial for a daily glug to keep my hydration up where it should be and paying particular attention during hot weather, because at 77 one's kidney's are on the way out and I need a good throughput
As for the plastic bottles - - if you make sure you look for the PET sign then you will know the container has been exhaustively tested and found to be safe unless exposed to extreme heat :thumbup:
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Having tried various bottled water, I found Chase Spring to be the best tasting especially when carbonated (fizzy). After shopping around I found 2litres available from Tesco at a very reasonable 17p
I like to mix my own choice of cordial for a daily glug to keep my hydration up where it should be and paying particular attention during hot weather, because at 77 one's kidney's are on the way out and I need a good throughput
As for the plastic bottles - - if you make sure you look for the PET sign then you will know the container has been exhaustively tested and found to be safe unless exposed to extreme heat :thumbup:

That's worth knowing, thanks LongDriver.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2020, 05:59 AM

It's probably just down to the fact that it's in a sealed hygienic container and does not contain anything that will degrade over the time quoted. Perhaps they have found the plastic might start to become unstable after that time. The water itself will only go off if exposed to the atmosphere.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top