Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 06:37 PM

Re: Rats on the lawn!!

Originally Posted by carol ->
How would you advise me to get rid of them Tiffany?
I haven't got a solution, Carol. I just stopped feeding the birds which did help. Humane traps are better than poison, if you know where the rats runs are & can put them there, but you then need to move any rats you catch to somewhere far away.

There will always be rats around no matter what you do, but I find if I don't see them, then they aren't there.

The rats here were showing themselves during the day in the garden, next doors cat did catch one right in front of me & took it over the fence, there were two then & those had had babies, because it was the 4 babies, then old enough to leave home, I saw a few days after on the bird table, cute to look at though. That's when I stopped feeding the birds.
I hope you manage to get rid of your rat problem.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 08:43 PM

basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 09:08 PM

No problem that i can see, get a .177 rifle from a second hand shop and just shoot them that's what i have done in the past simple.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 11:04 PM

There were 4 of them on the lawn today. They're getting very brave ... Broad daylight & quite close to the house.

The humane traps should arrive tomorrow but for a few days I'm going to put food in them without setting them so the rats will think it's a safe food source - then CLANG!!
Hopefully they will get caught & transported to our local woods about 2 miles away..
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
There were 4 of them on the lawn today. They're getting very brave ... Broad daylight & quite close to the house.

The humane traps should arrive tomorrow but for a few days I'm going to put food in them without setting them so the rats will think it's a safe food source - then CLANG!!
Hopefully they will get caught & transported to our local woods about 2 miles away..
I hope you catch them all, Carol.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 10:42 AM

Carol,after reading your post...I couldn't believe it when our neighbor showed us a dead rat...it was young...lying on the road , and another neighbour said there had been 3 running about her garden, we had rain yesterday bucket loads ,it was a river running down the street, and the drains were overflowing, so we wondered if that's what brought them out.
Now I must make sure the doors are always closed...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by paula ->
Carol,after reading your post...I couldn't believe it when our neighbor showed us a dead rat...it was young...lying on the road , and another neighbour said there had been 3 running about her garden, we had rain yesterday bucket loads ,it was a river running down the street, and the drains were overflowing, so we wondered if that's what brought them out.
Now I must make sure the doors are always closed...

The chap across the road from me said he had one come in his kitchen last summer. Eeek . .

So glad I've got my dogs!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
The chap across the road from me said he had one come in his kitchen last summer. Eeek . .

So glad I've got my dogs!
Hi

Why

They bite one and they are infectious.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Better than kangaroos in the top paddock.

Why does that sound painful?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 01:33 PM

It is ironic that Council might charge to rid us of rats seeing as it is probably down to the fact that they now collect the rubbish every three weeks. In my area at least.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top