Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 12:37 AM

Growing mustard

Ok, so at the garden centre I was thinking autumn seeds. Mustard was labelled as one that you can plant right to Sept. But reading the instructions it talks about sowing right until the Autumn, but "digging in" the following year. What?

Apparently it revitalises the soil so is this about just digging the soil as you would and leaving it in there? Is white mustard a variety that you cannot eat etc? It's entitled "green manure" and a hardy annual. Will it be a bad idea to sow this to the raised beds?

signed : Very confused mustard virgin....!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 09:12 AM

Re: Growing mustard

Hi Annie farmers often grow entire crops to 'dig in ' as a green manure to replenish soil as part of a crop rotation .

If you don't need the space for sewing in the raised bed and can leave the dug in plants to rot down , the crop would be ok.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 09:26 AM

Used to grow it on blotting paper at school.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Annie farmers often grow entire crops to 'dig in ' as a green manure to replenish soil as part of a crop rotation .

If you don't need the space for sewing in the raised bed and can leave the dug in plants to rot down , the crop would be ok.
Thanks Meg Seems a very sensible idea rather than buying bags and bags of compost.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Used to grow it on blotting paper at school.
I think that was mustard and cress Muddy not Mustard ?
Mustard is about 3ft tall and has yellow mustard coloured flowers !
The farmers just plough it straight back into the soil to revitalise
it for the next year .

Donkeyman! 👍👍
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

19-08-2020, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think that was mustard and cress Muddy not Mustard ?
Mustard is about 3ft tall and has yellow mustard coloured flowers !
The farmers just plough it straight back into the soil to revitalise
it for the next year .

Donkeyman! 👍👍
I actually bought it with the idea that you can eat the leaves. 'We have a horseradish plant and I've just green binned all the leaves as they can be eaten but are not that good for you. The damned root is far too hot to make any blinkin sauce. I'm sure you can sell it as an alternative to pepper spray!

So I thought mustard is milder, hardy and can be sown now, maybe a bit of greens and the flowers look good. The raised beds have mostly been stripped of the first and second earlies so this was a creative idea. I had no idea it was a mulching solution.

I also bought coriander, broad bean and the unwins lettuce all seasons collection - it will be a fun Autumn!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top