Join for free
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 11:02 AM

Help in the Garden

A friend's son has just left school and wants to do some gardening jobs to earn money.
I need help in my garden, but, how do I stand if he injures himself? I wouldn't let him use electrical tools, however if he gets a branch in his eye or stands on a rake like Sideshow Bob etc. would I be liable?
I can't seem to find out online.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 11:08 AM

Re: Help in the Garden

Sounds a keen young man Tess.
Why not suggest to him to enroll in horiticultural college and learn safely.
He could perhaps make that his line of work if he learns the ropes.

In the meantime, and I am only guessing here, the public liability side might depend on whether he is just helping as a friend, or whether he is receiving money as a form of employment, but not sure.
I agree with you about not letting use machinery.

If I can find out, I will let you know.

P.S. Just had a thought, is there any public liability cover on your home insurance?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 12:08 PM

Just get him to sign something saying that if he injures himself, it's his own fault and will not be suing you.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 01:07 PM

As he's only 16, I'm not sure if his parents would have to do something re permission. He's hoping to go into the police force so college would be taking someone else's place possibly, who wants to be a gardener.

I'll look into him or parents signing a disclaimer. I looked at my insurance, it doesn't cover me for people having accidents in my garden.
It seems you can't help a kid out, people think they're lazy if they can't do stuff to get a few bob.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top