Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 03:53 PM

When to stop...

Feeding my bedding plants?

Is it time to stop feeding my petunias & geraniums now or do I carry on for longer.

A big puzzle in my camelia. As it flowers in early spring do I feed it through the winter?

Thanks in advance.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 10:02 PM

Re: When to stop...

Feed your bedding plants once a week until the frosts come
I would give your camellia a feed now then again in spring
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 10:06 PM

I put my pelargoniums and fushias in the greenhouse or porch, don't feed until Spring, minimum water.
I feed bedding plants that are Winter flowering and outside in pots. I don't think you need to feed anything unless it's growing or flowering. Give it all a boost in Spring.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 10:35 PM

I more or less agree with Tess.
They say not to feed perennials after about late August, because it encourages them to make new tender growth which the frosts will kill.
Best to let them harden up to go through the winter.

My Camelias are in big tubs, and have needed watering (rain water) and feeding all summer because it has been so dry.
It is during the summer that next years buds are forming, so if they are not fed and watered sufficiently then, the buds will often drop off before they flower.
Too late to feed anymore now IMO, but early next spring, I change the top 2 - 3" of compost for nice fresh stuff - ericaceous - and mix long lasting ericaceous food pellets in then to start them off for the new year.

As for bedding, I amabout to pull my annual bedding up now because the Wallflowers I have grown have outgrown their containers and need going in the ground now.
I won't feed them before winter either.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I put my pelargoniums and fushias in the greenhouse or porch, don't feed until Spring, minimum water.
I feed bedding plants that are Winter flowering and outside in pots. I don't think you need to feed anything unless it's growing or flowering. Give it all a boost in Spring.
I do this too. They seem to like to have a sleep over winter.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 07:41 AM

I should have been feeding perennials and geraniums ?

I only feed tomatoes and I have stopped doing that now.

I do mulch the beds every year at this time.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 09:10 AM

The camelia should be fed and well watered around August time,its when it sets its buds for the spring.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top