Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 11:02 PM

Re: My Dahlias

Thanks ever so much Meg, and Mags.
I really enjoy seeing them each day, and picking a few for indoors.

Tess, that's a shame yours didn't flower too well this year.
Do you keep your tubers for next year?
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks ever so much Meg, and Mags.
I really enjoy seeing them each day, and picking a few for indoors.

Tess, that's a shame yours didn't flower too well this year.
Do you keep your tubers for next year?
They do look good, might try some in pots next year, the garden is a haven for slugs.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 11:11 AM

Very pretty Vlad.

Good job we don't live next door to each other, else we'd be nicking cuttings over the fence.
Excellent idea though
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
They do look good, might try some in pots next year, the garden is a haven for slugs.

Thanks Caricature, I have some in pots because I have so little garden space left. They need more food and water in pots though, and watch they don't topple over when it's windy.

You're right aboiut the slugs and snails though, I haven't found them half as bad with potted Dahlias, so some adventurous ones still try.
Blighters are at 'em straightaway in the ground aren't they.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 11:50 AM

I grow a lot of dahlias in pots for those very reasons..snails etc..the other advantage being that each winter I can move them into the greenhouse. In the old days I used to lift all my tubers but now due to the change in temperature I can leave the tubers in the ground and in the pots .
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 12:10 PM

Thanks Caricature, I have some in pots because I have so little garden space left. They need more food and water in pots though, and watch they don't topple over when it's windy.

You're right aboiut the slugs and snails though, I haven't found them half as bad with potted Dahlias, so some adventurous ones still try.
Blighters are at 'em straightaway in the ground aren't they.
Originally Posted by Vlad ->
I grow a lot of dahlias in pots for those very reasons..snails etc..the other advantage being that each winter I can move them into the greenhouse. In the old days I used to lift all my tubers but now due to the change in temperature I can leave the tubers in the ground and in the pots .
The wife put copper strips on the pots this year kept the slugs off.
Vlad
West Midlands UK

20-09-2020, 12:23 PM

I read somewhere, can’t remember where that the blue slug pellets have been banned.... ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-09-2020, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
I read somewhere, can’t remember where that the blue slug pellets have been banned.... ?

I'd never use them anyway Vlad, incase my dogs ate them.

As for the ban, it seems you were right in that they were banned, but apparently the ban has now been overturned! See here:

https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/new...ban-overturned
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-09-2020, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad;1968706[B
]I grow a lot of dahlias in pots for those very reasons.[/B].snails etc..the other advantage being that each winter I can move them into the greenhouse. In the old days I used to lift all my tubers but now due to the change in temperature I can leave the tubers in the ground and in the pots .

Vlad, what size pots/tubs do you find best, and do you get any trouble with them blowing over in windy weather?
Vlad
West Midlands UK

21-09-2020, 05:33 PM

I'd never use them anyway Vlad, incase my dogs ate them.

As for the ban, it seems you were right in that they were banned, but apparently the ban has now been overturned! See here:

https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/new...ban-overturned
Thanks for the heads up on that Mups

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top