Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 07:56 PM

Re: Would You Use Two Years Out Of Date Dried Dates?

Had the date packaging been opened? If not, I'd have tried a small bit of date and if it tasted OK, I'd have used the lot.

I'd have told anyone who wanted a slice of cake about the dates and the reaction would have ensured I got the whole cake to myself.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Besoeker, l did read today that l could have frozen the dates and walnuts too.
I wish l had known that before as l would never have dreamt of freezing them, especially nuts.
We had some after the sell by date. Too risky we thought. Even for the dog. Actually, especially for the dog..........
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
We had some after the sell by date. Too risky we thought. Even for the dog. Actually, especially for the dog..........

Just as well, as you would have spent a long time clearing up after his upset tummy.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 07:59 AM

Thinking about it, we can't share food now (Covid), so nobody else would be offered a slice of the cake anyway.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I decided to make a date and walnut cake but noticed the dried dates were two years out of date.
Well l ummed and ahhed, even let the dried dates soak in hot water.... but l decided not to use them and made a cherry and walnut cake instead.

I thought l would show you it as it came out beautifully and tastes gorgeous, especially with a nice cup of tea!

Anyway, would you have used the two year old dried dates?
Mmmmm, that cake looks gorgeous Art.
I'm afraid I too would not use those 2-year old dates. Mind you, I am a stickler for not using foodstuffs past their sell-by dates. However, if just before the date, any food items that can be frozen, I do freeze them, but I usually go with the following...

Best before - up to a week or so past the date I will use.
Use by - very strict and throw if even one day past date.

I had to smile when I read your post though, HWMO usually goes through every tin, packet, jar or bottle in all of the food cupboards and fridge at least once every 4 to 5 weeks just to check on the dates,(tall old kitchen cupboards where I can't even reach the two top shelves) so don't think I would ever come across 2 year old dates! (if it was left up to me, there could be stuff left over from goodness knows what date.)
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 01:59 PM

I think I'd prefer a date with less wrinkles, plump and sleek (with a beard)
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2020, 09:54 AM

No, I don't think I'd have used the dates that were 2 years pasted the use by date. Possibly rancid.

Your cherry cake look absolutely delicious, however.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top