Join for free
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 06:22 PM

Eggs

I find meal times troublesome lately. I struggle to find a big enough variety of things to last me a week. I often become fed up with certain food, and then have a problem in finding something to replace it with. So, I was happy when, quite by accident, I found myself watching a Youtube video demonstrating how easy and rewarding egg fried rice is. I had heard of it before, but knew nothing about it. Anyway, I tried cooking it, I liked it, and was pleased to have taken a step towards solving my problem. It was only after incorporating it into my weekly menu that I realised it had also created a problem.

I make an omelette once a week, using three eggs. I buy eggs in sixes, that being the minimum available quantity. This means I buy eggs every other week, and it works out okay. But now, I also use two eggs for the fried rice, bringing my usage up to five eggs per week. So, at the end of the first week, I have an egg left over. I buy six eggs on the following week, and end up with two left over. You see where this is going? For every four weeks in five, I am over stocked with eggs; it is only on the fifth week that I have exactly the right number of eggs for my needs. After being used to only having too many eggs around the place every other week, I am finding it hard to adapt to my new situation.

Some might say, what’s the big deal? just boil the left over egg; Start each week with a blank slate. Well I’m not that sort of person, I’m afraid. I have principles, and I don’t see why I should have to eat a boiled egg every week when I don’t want one. This, on top of already having to deal with being forced to cope with two pints of milk per week, when I only want one, is really getting on top of me. And it doesn’t end there.

There’s the grated cheese. One packet is probably enough to sprinkle half a dozen omelettes. That’s six weeks worth of omelettes; an opened pack of cheese lasts nowhere near that long. I don’t use it for anything else. I must be doing something wrong; other people don’t seem to have these problems; at least I never hear anybody mention them, whereas I tell anyone who’ll listen. Although they usually stop listening before I’ve finished. Nobody cares.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 06:29 PM

Re: Eggs

I'm sure I have seen boxes of four eggs somewhere if that helps? See, we do care.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 06:33 PM

Morrisons sell loose eggs 20p per egg.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm sure I have seen boxes of four eggs somewhere if that helps? See, we do care.
Not really, but at least you listened.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 06:41 PM

For a moment there I thought You were a Scot..but I see You're from Yorkshire..now it all makes sense!...I think I saw You on TV at Christmas going by the Name of Ebinezer
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Not really, but at least you listened.

Also, did you know that in these times of modern technology, you can buy egg fried rice ready made from a Chinese take away? You can even order it on your computer during lockdown. Failing that, supermarkets sell it but it's not quite as good and requires the use of a popty ping plus a table spoon of tap water.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 06:46 PM

Simple answer, eat more eggs....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-11-2020, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
For a moment there I thought You were a Scot..but I see You're from Yorkshire..now it all makes sense!...I think I saw You on TV at Christmas going by the Name of Ebinezer
Tuppence is tuppence as they say.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-11-2020, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Simple answer, eat more eggs....
Or go to work on one.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Or go to work on one.
Or go mad and have a kipper instead

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top