Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 10:06 AM

Loneliness Is As Lethal As Smoking 15 Cigarettes A Day....

Quote........”Researchers have found that loneliness is just as lethal as smoking 15 cigarettes per day. Lonely people are 50% more likely to die prematurely than those with healthy social relationships. There are several reasons why loneliness can be deadly. One is, it reduces your immunity, which can increase your risk of disease”.

Oh Dear, that doesn’t sound very good at this time...

I do speak to lots of friends on the phone and try to keep myself occupied with other things.

What about you? How do you combat loneliness in these unfortunate times?

Many will say, l have a husband, wife or partner who keeps me company which is all well and good but l still say, you can be lonely in a marriage or partnership.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 10:54 AM

Re: Loneliness Is As Lethal As Smoking 15 Cigarettes A Day....

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Quote........”Researchers have found that loneliness is just as lethal as smoking 15 cigarettes per day. Lonely people are 50% more likely to die prematurely than those with healthy social relationships. There are several reasons why loneliness can be deadly. One is, it reduces your immunity, which can increase your risk of disease”.

Oh Dear, that doesn’t sound very good at this time...

I do speak to lots of friends on the phone and try to keep myself occupied with other things.

What about you? How do you combat loneliness in these unfortunate times?

Many will say, l have a husband, wife or partner who keeps me company which is all well and good but l still say, you can be lonely in a marriage or partnership.
I know a few people that are indeed lonely for a number of reasons yet are in a long-term relationship, so I totally agree with you there.

It's people like my MIL that give us most concern.
Now well into her 80's she has been used to very regular contact with her family, especially her daughter and grandson.
Although she and her daughter meet up for a few hours once a week (as part of a "bubble") the more frequent contact and attending Sunday dinners has had to end, and this cannot have any positive effects.

I'm not sure how much difference contact by phone makes or, if it does make any difference, how long that could continue for?
It certainly isn't the same as meeting in person.

That said, my uncle is a virtual recluse.
He's lived alone for donkey's years with little in the way of social interraction other than occasionally from his sisters.
He's in his 90's and still going strong.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 10:57 AM

I am often alone - but am never lonely. I am blessed with good friends and there is rarely a day goes by that I don't have a chat or an email with/from one or more of them. Plus - there is always something to do about the house or in the craft room.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 11:35 AM

Like many i Iive alone . Many years ago when life changed and I moved in with myself I was lonely and would seek out friends to combat the loneliness it was a struggle . It took me years to live quietly with myself and as time went by we became companions .

Through the pandemic I've had fed up days and long tiring days but thank goodness I no longer feel lonely . I have grown
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 12:00 PM

Some great man said:-

"It's not just about what other people can do for your loneliness, It's, also, about what you can do for theirs"

I have a plan.

Contact all the family members & friends, who are right out there on the outer limits of my contactability, by whatever means possible, and CATCH UP!

Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 12:57 PM

What is lonley? I suppose it could be different for people.
I live alone, and have done so for 4 years now. I still find lots to do to keep me occupied. I visit these pages daily, and contribute when and where I can.
In the present situation it is different of course. I can’t do some of the activities that I did before lockdown.
But I can still go out for walks with my dog for company. Also I recently purchased an exercise bike, and cycle to the many virtual sceneries on YouTube via my TV.
Although I have had both of my vaccinations, I still take precautions when out, with a face covering, and my spray bottle of sanitiser.
I see my friend occasionally as I now include her in my bubble. ( she has had a first jab.) My age for those that need to know. DOB 20011938.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 02:39 PM

I don't feel lonely at all. Tony has Alzheimer's & we don't really have any meaningful conversations but we nudge along together fine. I am always looking for ways to help him & this keeps me occupied a bit.

Recently I have made him a 'memory box' I have taken photos of all his favourite place (including pubs) & written a short summary for each one. I am still adding to it. Next I want to photograph all the houses he lived in as a child and many other things...

I also meet up with two friends at different days/times to go a walk & catch up in news.
We also go a walk with our son & daughters. (again different days/times)

This afternoon I am going in my greenhouse to pot up some bare root roses I've just bought. I did strawberries last week. I'm as happy as Larry in my greenhouse. After my greenhouse session I'll go in my home gym for a bit of exercise - weights, kettlebells etc.

Then there's my computer & all the fabulous books I enjoy reading.

I miss going out for drinks/meals I miss the theatre, cinema & my fitness classes. It will be great to have all that back but I'm not at all lonely as I am now.
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 10:21 PM

Im so lonely I will marry the first person who will have me.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 11:38 PM

15 fags, chicken feed.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 08:58 AM

Being lonely and a Smoker must stink.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top