Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 09:27 AM

Electronic Communication

We are all aware of the benefits of Electronic Communication, but, has it highlighted (if it were needed) how ignorant some folks are? In the old days there was an excuse for none return communication, the letter was lost in the post, one could not get to the phone in time to answer, the doorbell was not working etc,etc. Nowadays there is no excuse for not viewing a Text Message, or, replying to an Email in a timely fashion, or even just answering the Mobile Phone, these are all deliberate acts, done without any thought of good manners, as if any more indicators were required.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 10:31 AM

Re: Electronic Communication

That is the reason why our dental practice insists on a £45 Deposit paid in advance when making appointment.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 10:37 AM

I must be lucky because none of those factors apply to me. My friends know that for me "timely" can mean a few minutes to a few hours or even the following day. They all know that after 9pm my phone goes into Silent Mode and that only Priority calls/texts come through. I'll check my phone when I wake up and reply, in my own good time, to whatever I think merits a reply.

If people think they have to insta-reply to everything, more fool them.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 10:56 AM

Would you mind telling that to the 5g-6g-7g developers then.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 11:46 AM

Hrm, for us it's simple. If WE chose to reply we do when it suits us.

If we chose not to we don't. If a thing is really important they write or phone.

What we then is still up to us. We've got an answering machine on the 'phone that includes "We might call you back at some point".
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 12:43 PM

I hate phones so hardly ever use one. Mrs Fox answers all the incoming landline calls, they are probably for her anyway...
I always and without fail answer my mobile, mainly because only the people who are important to me have my number so it must be urgent.
I'm not too keen on replying to emails, but will do it under duress, because the limited time I want to spend on my laptop, I want to spend on the forum, where all of my friends are....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-01-2021, 01:15 PM

Its all about standards, folks electronic responses are a representation of their outlook in general. A good example is Ebay, when I buy on Ebay payment is made immediately, followed by a message acknowledging the purchase, when I sell, immediately at auction end I contact the buyer to get postage detail etc, it is not uncommon for a buyer to be a last minute sniper, proving they must be at their machine to hit the button, then you have no contact for 48 hours ending up with me chasing them, that is deliberate, not half soaked, there ain't half some "everything on my terms" characters out there.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
We are all aware of the benefits of Electronic Communication, but, has it highlighted (if it were needed) how ignorant some folks are? In the old days there was an excuse for none return communication, the letter was lost in the post, one could not get to the phone in time to answer, the doorbell was not working etc,etc. Nowadays there is no excuse for not viewing a Text Message, or, replying to an Email in a timely fashion, or even just answering the Mobile Phone, these are all deliberate acts, done without any thought of good manners, as if any more indicators were required.
Modern excuses : the phone is broken/fell down the loo & drying in a bag of rice/ battery flat, the email went to junk / spam, the text was delayed due to a lack of signal, poor wifi ...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->

Would you mind telling that to the 5g-6g-7g developers then.
I do tend to insta replay with work emails. Otherwise I might not deal with something at all. Once the moment is gone I can't be bothered to look at it. If I need to focus on something I have to switch the mails off but some people do get impatient if you don't reply as fast as they'd like. I had to create a sub-sub folder for one person that was driving me nuts with her impatience.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-01-2021, 01:28 PM

That's the crux AnnieS, when you communicate in these days and times, and get a delayed or none reply, it is undeniably ignorant, and representative of the persons true character.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top