Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 06:44 PM

Re: But We still Keep Catching A Common Cold!

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Flu is the absolute worst. I had it when I was 14. Two weeks off school but I barely recall anything about it, apart from feeling like I was about to die.

Hi

Man Flu is worse, luckily us men can survive it.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 06:58 PM

Had the Swine flu. Was almost about to die. Maybe Tamiflu prevented it. Never again, please.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Man Flu is worse, luckily us men can survive it.
Aye, is complaining long and loud and laying on the sofa all day with a damp cloth to your head part of the survival process then?
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 07:13 PM

I had flu about 30 years ago. God it was awful, I felt so ill, it just wiped me out for days on end. I quite literally could barely move, just about managed to crawl to the loo when necessary and felt as if I'd pass out when I got back to bed. Shivering uncontrollably, aches where I really didn't think it was possible to ache.

Tell you what, when I hear people with colds say they've 'had a touch of flu' I want to punch them. A 'touch' of flu? What the heck is that then?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
I had flu about 30 years ago. God it was awful, I felt so ill, it just wiped me out for days on end. I quite literally could barely move, just about managed to crawl to the loo when necessary and felt as if I'd pass out when I got back to bed. Shivering uncontrollably, aches where I really didn't think it was possible to ache.

Tell you what, when I hear people with colds say they've 'had a touch of flu' I want to punch them. A 'touch' of flu? What the heck is that then?
Probably suitable wording to gain sympathy and justify their absence from work, or similar!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Probably suitable wording to gain sympathy and justify their absence from work, or similar!
Oh undoubtedly! But you know, a lot of people who have never had flu, seem to genuinely believe a very heavy cold is 'a touch of flu'. I always tell them 'if it really was flu, you wouldn't be saying that you think it's flu. You would be in no doubt!!'
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 09:45 PM

Oh undoubtedly! But you know, a lot of people who have never had flu, seem to genuinely believe a very heavy cold is 'a touch of flu'. I always tell them 'if it really was flu, you wouldn't be saying that you think it's flu. You would be in no doubt!!'
I am one of those who has never had 'flu, my mother used to say that if I had then I wouldn't even be able to stand up! My mother had the 'flu jab a couple of times but was so unwell afterwards that on GP's advice she stopped having them. The problem I had with being very unwell at times, just with a cold, was down to having pneumonia when really young, any cold went straight down on my chest so breathing was not very good.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

29-06-2021, 10:08 PM

The problem I had with being very unwell at times, just with a cold, was down to having pneumonia when really young, any cold went straight down on my chest so breathing was not very good.
Mr B is exactly the same, and like you it's because he had pneumonia as a very young child, around two and a half I think he was. It certainly left a legacy of coughs and chest infections for life
Baz46

29-06-2021, 10:36 PM

Mr B is exactly the same, and like you it's because he had pneumonia as a very young child, around two and a half I think he was. It certainly left a legacy of coughs and chest infections for life
Yet nowadays I don't seem to catch colds, I have had just one or two very mild colds in the last 15 years, touch wood I don't get one now!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

30-06-2021, 08:18 AM

Yet nowadays I don't seem to catch colds, I have had just one or two very mild colds in the last 15 years, touch wood I don't get one now!
No, come to think of it, I can't remember the last time Mr B had a cold - seems like years. Many years ago, when he had a particularly bad cough that had gone on and on for weeks, I made a GP appointment for him, which he was annoyed about and threatened to cancel (and I threatened him with all sorts if he did cancel!!).

Well thank God he didn't cancel, because on examining him with a stethoscope the GP noticed an odd brown mark on his back, referred him to a dermatologist, where he discovered he had a malignant melanoma. Prompt surgery followed, more appointments, and further surgery to make sure they'd left no trace, and happily he's had no recurrence. But I've always been so grateful that I made him go to the doctor that day

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top