Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 11:19 PM

Re: Rememberance Service

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Pathetic isn't it.
Is Megan pregnant again already?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Some thoughtless and disrespectful people about such as this ignorant bastard.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-50367340
That is just disgusting, Judd!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 12:06 AM

I didn't see the programme last night, but today's Cenotaph service was beautiful. Some of the interviews made me cry.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Some thoughtless and disrespectful people about such as this ignorant bastard.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-50367340
I remember my dad, many years ago, talking about such disrespectful things and saying, "We need another war".
I know what he meant.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Red for the blood that was spilled.
Black for the mourning of those left behind.
Green for the new growth on the fields of battle.
The leaf at eleven o'clock, symbolising the time when the guns fell silent.
Perhaps someone should explain that to the naive snowflakes who prefer to wear a white poppy, claiming that the red poppy supports war.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-11-2019, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
He did not attend the remembrance service at the Albert Hall, to which I believe this thread is referring - he was conspicuous by his absence - the disrespectful scroat!!!! He went up to Yorkshire - I would imagine he was as useful as a chocolate teapot.
I suppose we should be aware that his loyalties lie elsewhere.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Perhaps someone should explain that to the naive snowflakes who prefer to wear a white poppy, claiming that the red poppy supports war.
The white poppy dates back to the 30s. I wear a red one but the white poppy movement is not a snowflake invention.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-11-2019, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The white poppy dates back to the 30s. I wear a red one but the white poppy movement is not a snowflake invention.
Nothing new about naivety, I assure you.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-11-2019, 11:42 AM

It wasn't naivety in the 30s. People were sick of war and it's devastating effects. The first world war made no sense and caused immense suffering so surely you can understand the roots of the pacifist movement? The white poppy movement has been politically hijacked by millennials and that is another matter. I am totally against the recent hijacking but the original movement deserves respect for what it represented.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It wasn't naivety in the 30s. People were sick of war and it's devastating effects. The first world war made no sense and caused immense suffering so surely you can understand the roots of the pacifist movement? The white poppy movement has been politically hijacked by millennials and that is another matter. I am totally against the recent hijacking but the original movement deserves respect for what it represented.
Totally agree. There's nothing wrong with having an ideal to want to work towards. However, it is essential that respect is paid towards those who had no realistic choice other than to kill and be killed so that a desired way of life could be maintained. IMHO it is not entirely appropriate to make a political point during a remembrance event, in effect saying that people died needlessly.

I always make a point of thanking people in the armed services, as well as the police, fire service etc for being willing in putting themselves in harm's way so that I don't have to.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top