Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 02:39 PM

Driving through flood

I visit each week a friend who lives in the middle of no where in Dorset. I drive through 3 miles of tiny lanes in pitch black to get to her . Recently I was driving the lanes and there were three low places flooded . The first two were okay then i saw the third deep dip and went into second gear and through about a foot of water about 30 feet in length . Oh boy did it scare me . I could not turn round as the lane is so narrow.

My car is a seat ibiza sport and low to the ground .

Any advice about driving through please. I do get worried. Obviously if it's too bad I dont go but it seems to be normal weather lately and no one else seems bothered

Thankyou
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 03:09 PM

Re: Driving through flood

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I visit each week a friend who lives in the middle of no where in Dorset. I drive through 3 miles of tiny lanes in pitch black to get to her . Recently I was driving the lanes and there were three low places flooded . The first two were okay then i saw the third deep dip and went into second gear and through about a foot of water about 30 feet in length . Oh boy did it scare me . I could not turn round as the lane is so narrow.

My car is a seat ibiza sport and low to the ground .

Any advice about driving through please. I do get worried. Obviously if it's too bad I dont go but it seems to be normal weather lately and no one else seems bothered

Thankyou
Drive into the water untill your front wheels are wet.

Reverse back leaving wet tyre marks on road and park on the side of the carriageway.

When another vehicle comes along the driver will see the wet tyre marks and assume a vehicle has come through safely and so continue into the flooded road.

If the other driver makes it OK then go through yourself. If not carefully reverse until you can turn back and find another way.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

Reverse back leaving wet tyre marks on road and park on the side of the carriageway.

When another vehicle comes along the driver will see the wet tyre marks and assume a vehicle has come through safely and so continue into the flooded road.

If the other driver makes it OK then go through yourself. If not carefully reverse until you can turn back and find another way.
Absolutely brilliant advice, AT! Will have to remember that one!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 04:25 PM

AT no one passes, I hardly see another car !

But I'll remember that one when I see you standing on the side of a flooded road watching
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

That made me laugh.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 06:05 PM

This is the AA's advice on driving through a flooded road

1. Try to avoid standing water if you can.
2. Don't drive into flood water that's moving or more than 10cm (4
inches) deep. ...
3. Drive slowly and steadily so you don't make a bow wave.
4. Test your brakes as soon as you can afterwards.
5. Fast-moving water is very powerful – take care or your car could be
swept away.

Personally I would add to that, stay in a low gear and keep the engine revs a bit higher than usual to avoid water getting into the exhaust.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 09:12 PM

Try not to drive through deep water, even large puddles, modern cars have their air intakes low down in the engine bay, driving through deep water, can cause water to be drawn into the engine resulting in hydraulic lock, then it’s a new engine I’m afraid, if it looks too deep then don’t try to go through it..
susan m
DORSET UK

12-12-2019, 10:15 PM

Thankyou all . I was scared last week just put my foot down and went through in second gear . I think a bit too fast . I think a lot of the village folk have high 4x4 vehicles. When I tell the others who all gather at our friends house how anxious I get I think they dont understand.

I'll remember what you all said
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-12-2019, 10:44 PM

Thankyou all . I was scared last week just put my foot down and went through in second gear . I think a bit too fast . I think a lot of the village folk have high 4x4 vehicles. When I tell the others who all gather at our friends house how anxious I get I think they dont understand.

I'll remember what you all said
Yes, its' a doddle in a 4x4, they are so high up that the water would have to be pretty deep to affect the vehicle. I remember one Christmas day getting through a flooded road with ease while lots of other cars became stranded.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 12:12 AM

AT no one passes, I hardly see another car !

But I'll remember that one when I see you standing on the side of a flooded road watching
Well said Susan

Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top