Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 08:03 PM

Would You Pay Up? Or Refuse To Go?

You’re invited by a casual friend in a group you belong to, to their milestone birthday party.
You say, ‘Yes, l’d love to go’. They say, ‘That’s great, please contact my friend who is organising it’.

So you contact the friend and say, you’d love to attend. They then drop the bombshell..
‘We are asking for £20 each from everyone towards the present’. What???? Twenty quid each and there are lots of people invited to the party?

So would you pay up the £20 or tell them to ‘stroll on’?
How would you get out of it, if you thought it was a lot to pay out?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 08:14 PM

Re: Would You Pay Up? Or Refuse To Go?

Say you've already bought a gift...........
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Say you've already bought a gift...........
Lindy, Then l’d say, it’s tough titty. They either like it or lump it. You might get evil stares at the party though!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 08:19 PM

Tell the casual friend's friend "You can ask, but you're not getting ..... "
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

15-12-2019, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Tell the casual friend's friend "You can ask, but you're not getting ..... "
Imagine, if 100 people attended at £20 each. Not a bad little earner for a couple of hours with no entertainment!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Imagine, if 100 people attended at £20 each. Not a bad little earner for a couple of hours with no entertainment!
Let me know how it goes, I may start a new career!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 08:34 PM

You’re invited by a casual friend in a group you belong to, to their milestone birthday party.
You say, ‘Yes, l’d love to go’. They say, ‘That’s great, please contact my friend who is organising it’.

So you contact the friend and say, you’d love to attend. They then drop the bombshell..
‘We are asking for £20 each from everyone towards the present’. What???? Twenty quid each and there are lots of people invited to the party?

I would probably make excuses and not go. If it were a close friend I'd pay up and go but I would begrudge paying £20 to someone I hardly knew, especially at this time of year. That is just so cheeky!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 08:37 PM

That's not an invite. And not from a friend.
Would you charge friends for attending your birthday party???
Two words.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 08:38 PM

In the past, I've had management stoolies approach me with a demand for a "fixed" contribution towards a manager's leaving/retirement present and I've told them where to stick their demand .....

OTOH, one manager I worked for was so popular that myself and many others spend a lot of time, money and effort on preparing a secret "This Is Your Life"-type leaving presentation for his last night .....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 08:49 PM

Just say no.

Without a second thought.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top