Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Re: Dog breeding

Originally Posted by MickB ->
As someone who has bred, shown and worked dogs for many years, but who is now only involved in rescue, I feel very strongly that lumping all breeders together (as the Animal Rights nutters do) is shortsighted and lazy. Without the small core of responsible and ethical breeders who really are the guardians of the breeds that we love, the breeds would disappear within a very few generations. The problem lies not with these breeders (whose dogs rarely, if ever come into rescue) but with the vast majority of breeders who are greedy, irresponsible, money oriented amoral lowlives - totally unconcerned with the breeds they make money from and the implications of their breeding.

My own breed is the Siberian Husky. The handful of excellent, ethical, responsible breeders in the UK:

(i) will test their sires and dams for all the health conditions known to be prevalent in the breed. If a dog/bitch fails those tests it will not be bred from and will live as a much loved pet instead.

(ii)They will carefully check pedigrees, temperament, conformation etc to ensure that the sire and dam are compatible and likely to produce excellent pups.

(iii)Prospective buyers for the pups will be interviewed, homechecked and generally made to jump through hoops to ensure that they are suitable owners for a pup.

(iv) They will insist that the buyer signs a contract agreeing to return the pup to the breeder (at any age) if they, for whatever reason, cannot keep it.

(v) They will endorse the pup's KC registration so that if the dog is bred from, no resulting pups will be KC registered until all the appropriate health tests have been carried out.

(vi) They will always be available for help, advice, information and support for the lifetime of the dog.

Breeders who work by these guidelines are not and never have been responsible for the rescue crisis which affects so many breeds.

Those responsible are the backyard breeders, puppy farmers and, increasingly, the naive/stupid/greedy "pet breeders" who breed their poor quality bitch to any old male simply for the money they can make.
In 2007, my wife and I founded The Siberian Husky Welfare Association (UK) - SHWA(UK) for short - and since then we have rehomed almost 1500 unwanted Siberian Huskies. By helping and supporting struggling owners, we have been able to ensure that thousands more have been able to stay with their families. Of the dogs that we have rehomed, only 0.3% have been bred by breeders that we would regard as good ethical and responsible. In a couple of cases, the owner had died suddenly and the family didn't have the breeders details. In a couple more, the owners were too embarrassed to tell the breeder that they didn't want the dog any more. In all the cases involving good breeders, the breeders stepped up to their responsibilities and rehomed the dogs themselves. The other 99.97% that we have rehomed were bred by unethical, irresponsible, money-oriented 'breeders.' These are the people who need to be stopped.
As you are probably aware, there are a lot of them up for re-homing at the moment because of programmes like Game of Thrones. Some owners thought they actually had 'powers'.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Personally I don't have a problem with so called designer dogs so long as the dogs' welfare is at the top of the list. All dogs are hybrids, they all started somewhere, even those with flat noses that can't breath properly.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Mick that's all good but how many breeders really do homechecks ?

when I thought about getting a puppy I saw several and even left a deposit on one before my principles overcame me .

None absoutely none asked for anything but a cheque .

They asked me no questions weren't concerned that we were older /lived miles away /in fact anything really .

Some had just bred the family dog and they were not all bad places .

Because I was looking for a specific cross ( Labrador /collie) most were not breeders as such but the result of accidental matings.

I am not I'm afraid much impressed by the kennel club (although my dog has done their obedience tests ) after that awful looking German Shepherd was judged Champion dog at Crufts !

I am not sure that Game of Thrones has made people buy huskies -they seem to have been gaining in popularity for years probaby because of their wolf like appearance .
They are lovely dogs although somehow seem out of place in surbubia -they need a sled !

I have also seen some hybrid ' Timber dogs ' ( sort of Inuit /shepherd cross breds about .There was one in my dog class it was huge .
On looking these up the breeders did have some exacting conditions of sale. no breeding etc ( how they can possibly enforce this I don't know ) and doubt if it's even legal .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:49 AM

MickB, Good post.

I would like to say that I used to do every one of those 6 things on your check list too, except actually visiting the new owners house, but they were well questioned, had to sign the sales contract, and everything else.
If people come long distances for a pup, somtimes 100's of miles, it was not practical to home check.

Many became friends and kept in touch for years. I have three people at the moment who Beddies from me 10 and 12 years ago, and they still send me photo's and updates.
I know exactly where my dogs went.

Muddy
, I also became dissillusioned with the KC long ago.
My puppies also were KC Endorsed so they could not be bred with without my consent.

You say about crosses - I had a chap once ask me if he could use one of my boys on his husky female. I refused.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:18 PM

One litter of Shepherd pups.

And three little Beddie pups.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 10:16 PM

Gorgeous, Mups, just gorgeous.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-06-2019, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Gorgeous, Mups, just gorgeous.

Thank you Tabs.
I loved every single one of them.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Gorgeous pups. Are they your Mups ?

I saw a lovely cross breed the other day. It was beautiful, soft curly coat that didn't moult. All the attributes that a dog lover would like. It cost £1000, basically for a mongrel !

If we continue to pay high prices, then the dog breeding business will continue to grow and I fear, in not very scrupulous ways.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

07-06-2019, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Gorgeous pups. Are they your Mups ?

I saw a lovely cross breed the other day. It was beautiful, soft curly coat that didn't moult. All the attributes that a dog lover would like. It cost £1000, basically for a mongrel !

If we continue to pay high prices, then the dog breeding business will continue to grow and I fear, in not very scrupulous ways.
It's not just for the cross-breeds though, a Boxer can be 1,000 - 1,500, as can a golden retriever etc
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, a lot of 'back street breeders' are only in it for the money,
Think you could say the same about all breeders.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top